Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really like the idea of having the students correct the homework. Since I always spend time at the beginning of each class going over the homework that will be a great time saving. I know this method is used a lot at the highschool level but I never thought of using it with adults. Thank you I just saved about 4 hours a week!!

Good points Anne-Patricia! Four hours a week can really add up over the course of a semester. Who knows what you could accomplish with all those extra hours. Often times, little things can make a big difference.

Since most of our programs are "skill based," the majority of testing is performed hands-on, which allows for evaluations and grading through observation. The course objectives are formatted into a check list and that is used for the grading. The homework assignments are kept at a minimum because of the number of students who are single parents. As the instructor goes through the programs on a cyclical basis, exams and homework are compiled for future use, thus they can be graded more easily and fine tuned when needed.

Wow, it sounds like you have an excellent grading system Ronald. I like the way that you continue to refine the system to streamline it and keep it up to date for future use.

I use: multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blanks ( with a word bank) and matching. Once in a while I use a picture that the students label. I have gotten away from essays and short answers. Many students have poor english skills due to english as their 2nd language. Also,career schools do not provide basic skills exams like most colleges and do not provide basic skills in english. I found the above mentioned too frustrating. In addition, I also use an answer sheet where they fill in true / false
( written out), the letter or the word.

Interesting points Faith. On one hand, you want to make sure your tests are not biased toward English speakers. It's important to disambiguate assessments of skill from assessments of language comprehension – particularly in skill-based training programs. You can accomplish this by asking students to respond to pictures instead of words, as you do. On the other hand, you want make sure that you don't enable students who might need to master English comprehension to successfully perform their jobs. It's often quite a balancing act in career school settings.

I don't like grading pages and pages of homework assignments. So I have the students write a few questions for discussion in the next lecture. Then we spend about 10-15 minutes discussing the previous day's lecture. I call on different students each session, to make sure that everyone participates. Regarding exams, I like to mix up the formats between multiple choice and hands on (during lab time).

We use a variety of methods. Clinical lab instructors' books came with quizzes and exams that can be on-line or paper. The program ExamView will score for us (on-line) or supply an answer key (paper). We can build our own test bank, if we desire. The computer instructors use projects in the book that are graded from the students' network folder and use a program (via Internet) that allows students to do training on tasks covered in the book projects. There are chapter quizzes, mid-terms and finals. All are scored within seconds. When we give lectures we sometimes use presentation software.

Thanks for sharing Mary! It sounds like you've got many great methods for streamlining the grading process to share.

I already employ the multiple choice method for testing. I pass out the tests and we go over the questions together. I then record the grades.
I have found my students do very well with this method and have great subject retention as well.

The grading process I am using involves both scantron style sheets for a multiple choice evaluation and a written hands-on “skills” proficiency test in a lab atmosphere. The lab tests must be graded by reading the response and sometimes interpreting what the student is trying to convey. This extends the grading time. I have picked up some new ideas to help me reinvent the grading wheel a little.

Interesting. My test grading procedures are rock solid. Homework assignments in my course generally are research based and can be difficult to grade. By having an outline of expected results from my students definately streamlined the process.

Indeed. And there are other benefits to this as well. An outline of expected results can also help instructors offer more fair grading system for their students.

We are currently at my facility use multiple coice exams. They work well as far as time savings go.

I can allow students to do test on line electronically that comes with the textbook.

I typically use mutiple choice and essay exams during the semester. I would like to research the test making technology discussed in your materials. I believe that this may help save a lot of time where I normally have to format the tests myself. Also, I like the idea of taking an essay exam and breaking it into short answer questions. Seems to go right to the point and will allievate a lot of "filler" reading to determine what answer the student is providing.

I already use some of the techniques with matching, multiple choice, and true/false. This does give me more time to evaluate not only the knowledge required to do the task but helps me understand if they are going to understand the hands on portion of the task. This way I can spend my time more efficiently assisting the students who need further clarity. As a technical instructor I do not put my hopes on technology for learning the fundamentals because as I have learned over the years Murphy can put you back at square one quickly when you rely too much on technology.

I've learned a lot about what I'm doing wrong or at least what I should do to streamline my exam process. I just started at a Career College teaching subjects directed at a BS degree. In the past I've taught at Graduate Schools in traditional universities where more is required. I will be giving exams in a couple of weeks and will alter my approach of giving essay exams requiring critical thinking skills to one of True/False and Multiple Choice questions that challenge the students ability to recall specific items in the topics discussed in class. I'll probably allow open books.

Good points Ron. You are spot on about Murphy's Law. I also have need of "back-up" plans when things go wrong. Usually I ask the students to do some related research on another topic to discuss it in class, thus prevent down time.

1. Look for key bullit points when setting up and grading essay exams.
2. Use a Scantron machine when possible.
3. Incorporate the grading of students homework into a beneficial review process by having them grade each other's work.
4.Have fun

Sign In to comment