Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Currently I use Computerized test banks and Scantrons almost exclusively. However, for homework and quizzes I prefer short answer essay questions with the answers placed on the right side of the test paper or on a separate answer. I find this works very well for me, regarding ease of grading and conservation of time.

I try to avoid any type of essay questions on exams. Although, in my school, the curriculum department has strict control of all testing materials and our current tests have some essay questions. When assembling homework assignments, one should always make sure they are clearly defined and are easily graded. A formatted sheet, which has specific goals for the student to accomplish would seem to be the most efficient.

My school has all of this pre-programmed, so I use Rubrics for the essays to make it easier to grade them.

I already try to streamline assignments, tests and essays as much as possible. This module has helped me to see why doing this is a good idea and very important. I really like the idea of using certain words to open an essay question which then guides the students to address those prompts and then when grading I can just look for those prompts. That seems like a great time saving method. So, thank you.

Tim, Yes, having clear performance criteria benefits us in a number of ways. It makes grading so much easier. It also ensures that we are fair in our grading practices.

Dr. Melissa Read

I often find myself avoiding essay exams as highlighted in this module due to the time it consumes when grading them but I do like the idea of having the students underline the important areas of their own essay answers. Sometimes I will have the students grade each other's exams if they are multiple choice and/or true and false so that they can get that portion out of the way for me. After reviewing this module I think I will due more in class grading with the students and possible even online exams and quizes to take some of the stress of grading out of my daily tasks.

I will start adding essay questions and having the student uderline the key portions of the response. This was a great idea!

I stick strickley to my syllabi and make study guides for final exams with not only questions directly from the final but as well as numerous questions that closely follow the covered chapters.

50% of the exams and assignments are computerized. Thanks to our publisher who provides us both printable and downloadable versions of the assignments, exams and syllabi. For grading, we use excel spreadsheet instead of online grading book. We call each student to our office to let their mid-term and final grades.

We also create our own bubble sheet answer keys as well and it works great for us. As a PD I really appreciate them reducing the size of the student files that I am required to keep for accreditation purposes. Less physical and electronic storage space neccessary for this. It also reduces the amount of copies that we make as I am sure that there are at least a few others that experience frequent Xeorox machine issues as well.

Kelly, It's great when we have good support for digital file storage. Digital files are often so much more searchable than paper. Using a single keyword, or simple phrase in search, can often get us to the right file instantly.

Dr. Melissa Read

I utilize multiple test "types" such as multiple choice, T/F, short answer etc. At times I do like to have the students take an essay test as I find it helps them to consider a question in more detail and answer the question more thoroughly. I had not thought of asking the students to underline the key points of their answers, I think that will benefit both the student (by focusing on the key points) and me by decreasing the amount of time needed for grading - thank you for the suggestion!

I give my students a course outline on what to expect class and test wise. and we discuss openly with whole class so there are no surprises.

Considering that I work as an instructor at a school that has a prepared curriculum already in place, I don't know that a great deal will change in my specific situation. That's not to say that I didn't pick up some useful tips for cutting down on the amount of time I will spend grading assignments. Thank you.

after completing the module I have learned to keep doing what I am doing as it is the best way.

Deborah, Excellent to hear you'll explore this new approach! Underlining works wonders for so many instructors. It not only speeds grading, but also help students focus on the most important portions of their answers.

Dr. Melissa Read

1. Make it easy to find/see the exam answers and, where appropriate, use a template or computerized grading.
2. Have respondents highlight key parts of any essay questions.
3. Ask questions clearly/succinctly; using leading words that describe exactly what type of response is expected. (for essay/short answer)
4. When possible, use homework as classroom learning opportunity by in-class grading.
5. Use multiple-choice when possible. True-false is fast and easy to grade, but these questions must be used very carefully. I don't think they contribute much, since student has 50/50 chance of getting it right even if they don't have any idea.

I read manuscript on various topics for speech preparation. I will use the 'high lighted' suggestion in this module.

I try to avoid long exams but my students must take an hundred question exam for state licensing. So I use some multiple choice and true & false for some easy grading time.

I will try to make my tests short answer or multiple choice in the future. Instead of trying to grade 25 essay tests, I will be utilizing True/False tests more often and incorporate Fill in the Blank questions as well. Not only are these very good questions to pose to measure a student's recall and absorption of the material, they are easier and faster to grade. Using a web based service for recording grades saves time too: the students can view their grades in real time and the computer can do the calculations of the weighted categories.

Sign In to comment