Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To do list

I think learning the do's and dont's of a to do list will really help me reduce stress. I actually encouraged a co worker to do this when he seemed overwhelmed with tasks. I also believe this helps you not worry about things when you write them down.

Adam, Teaching others around us to better manage their stress is so important. When they are open to our feedback and suggestions, it can make a world of difference in improving the stress we experience when we are with them.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have (at least for the last 20 years or so) made to do lists, ranked them periodically, and I even organized my desk every 9 weeks (we are currently on 10 week quarters). This has worked well for me.

When I go over emails, I try to answer student emails first, just so I don't forget to do it. I then answer Admin, and so on and so on. This has worked well, and I don't feel overly stressed (or at least any more stressed than I should be close to the end of the quarter).

I attribute this to my education classes which addressed the topics of organization and such.

I had to learn how to make a productive to do list. And now my stickie notes have stickie notes :) They are helpful especially when you are teaching many classes and you don't have the time to stop and handle something so we jot it down to do later.

Becki, Sounds like you've developed the perfect system for you. Keep it up! For some instructors, their inbox functions like a to do list. I like your method of prioritizing based on the sender. Other instructors use other methods, like color coding and email flagging.

Dr. Melissa Read

I have learned that using a week at a glance calendar for my to do lists helps me to prioritize my tasks. Most importantly, it allows me to see my entire week on one page and move my list around as priorities change. Since I use a calendar, I can go back and easily retrieve information pertaining to my lists. I currently have an archive that extends back sixteen years.

I write a to do lists on a regular basis because I cannot keep all that I have to do in my head.If I have to schedule something, I write down the contact number as well. I also find it helpful to use a wall calendar so that I can see the days ahead and focus on the best way to tackle them.

A to do list is the best way to go! It helps you not forget anything when you have a lot of stuff going on.

Writing it down makes it happen......for me. If I don't write it down, I might forget. It's also a good feeling to scratch things off your "to do" list. That feeling of accomplishment is what instills motivation to keep going!

Cheryl, So true. I love the feeling of scratching items off my list and reviewing those items to see just how much I have accomplished. It's great motivation to keep progressing.

Dr. Melissa Read

Sign In to comment