Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rima,
So true and so important. The human factor is what will keep many students in school because they know they have an authority figure that cares about them as individuals and whats to help them succeed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I identify my classroom environment as a 'stress free zone" disclose deadlines and suggest time management. I set up quizzes and reviews online so that they can experiment and find small successes every day. In every class I identify the "usefulness" of every lesson and ask them to discuss a possible application for each topic.

The human factor is very important because the student needs to know that you are there for them and that you want them to be able to succeed in the field with the knowledge you are providing them with as their instructor.

Kelly,
This is such a great way to provide student support. Your students are being provided the tools they need for success and in return they need to use these tools and put forth the needed effort that will help them have success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tommy,
Yes it is for the reasons you state. The human factor is what will keep many students in school and moving forward in their career development without they would be gone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I find the human factor to be extremely important to student retention and success. My experience has shown that allowing myself to be "real" and sharing my own obstacles and professional life experiences puts my students and ease and compfortable to approach me for educational guidance.

Shelly,
The human factor is an essential part of teaching success. By integrating our personality and support into the class structure we are helping our students to see how they need to conduct themselves when they are out in the workplace.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The Human Factor in Retention is very important in the process of learning because it enables the student to be relaxed, involved and confident on what is taught. There is a personal connection that heightens the learning curve in the student. For example I took a class with an American Indian instructor on "Conquered Peoples in The Americas". She was my favorite professor who gave us Native American names and spoke from the heart. I'll always remember her creativity in remembering ones name, the spontaneity, humor and sincerity involved in her teaching method. I can barely remember the lessons who taught in a conventional manner. I do not want to be the latter where there is no bond to teaching. The Human Factor is an important association between student and instructor that demonstrates that you care about the student and their personal growth.

Steven,
Thank you sharing this example and the impact it had on you and your instructional approach. The human factor is a major part of why we are teaching. We need to realize the influence we have on the lives of our students and the models we are for them as they prepare to enter into their chosen careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is huge. I once did a research project for a pre-doctoral program that focused on retention.

What my research found was that students who can identify relevancy and have a respected adult/authority figure that shows care and concern are more successful and remain within programs despite previously dropping out.

One area in which I struggle is with getting too sucked into the human factor. Students that I have are masters at excuses, and I sometimes find myself being too sympathetic and cutting them too much slack, so they never make good progress in the course.

Lindsay,
It is easy to get sucked in by students. I am a soft touch as well so I have to constantly tell myself that I have to step back and hold the student accountable not matter what the excuse is. One of the reasons I teach is that I enjoy working with the students and the interaction I get to have with them on the other hand I also can set myself up for getting sucked in because of the human factor.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is hugely important. Students need to feel respected and understood. They are people with issues outside of the classroom that affect them.

All humans regardless of whether or not they are students want to identify with their peers or people that they interact with throughout life. People want to know that others experience day to day ups and downs just as they do. As an instructor, it is important to let students know that you have struggled through some of the same things that they have because you too have had to go through school in order to get to where you are. I think that this is especially important in the technical or trade school environment as many of these students have jobs and are also students. It is also extremely important to tailor your lessons to applicable skills in life.

Patricia,
This is a very important part of the educational process. As the learning leader you need to project a human side that shows your students what a professional in their field should be like.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jessica,
Good analysis of how to approach and support students. We need to be a career model and learning leader for our students so they feel comfortable in working with us and appreciate the value of the content we are sharing with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students must feel respected and supported by the instrutor. They must feel that you will be fair and teach with integrity. They must feel that you genuinely care about their success.

Belinda,
This is the human aspect of teaching and it is as essential as the content that is being shared.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The human factor is incredibly important to retention and many other aspects of being an educator. Students are more likely to seek guidance from an instructor that demonstrates they have a genuine concern for the student’s wellbeing. Building this rapport with the students will greatly increase the chances of a student coming to you with a concern at a point when it can be fixed, rather than waiting until it is too late to effectively help the student and keep them enrolled.

my dog ate the paper car trouble my spouse is sice it's monday it's friday all excuses and sometimes we just have to be straight up with our students and say Priorities!!!!! what are your priorites and your number on priority should be coming to class

Eric,
Your comments are right on target in terms of how students are kept in programs. Yes, it is the human factor and the influence that instructors have on the students. They need to see in their learning leader a person that is there to help them be successful if they are willing to put for the needed effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment