Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sometimes engaging in casual conversation and correlating concepts from the course material is a subtle way of showing the human factor in the classroom.

Each student inevitably is looking for validation of some sort for the journey that they have taken on and the work that they are accomplishing. When an instructor leans in with a human element there is then a connection between student and instructor, therefore a trust and respect is built and nurtured.

The human factors play a vital part in student retention. Issues with life styles and fears are barriers we are face with in the class room. As we learned in the course encouragement and positive feedback are imperative in building self-esteem in students.

I often try to bring in my own experiences, successes and more so failures, to the classroom to let my students know I been where they are and that I understand the frustrations they feel. I think it's important to let them know that they are not the only one who has "been there" and if I could do it they can too.

Students need approval by the human nature we all have to seek it. I have noticed that the statement good job goes a long way with every student because we constantly seek approval through out our lives, we want to be were we are constantly getting that approval. This therefore helps with student retention.

Keith,
So true and so important. The human factor is the reason that many of us are in teaching in the first place. We like working with the next generation that will be entering our respective career areas.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If the human factor were NOT important, then ALL classes would be held online with no instructor at all - completely computerized. Even in online classes we look for the human factor. We want that introduction thread, we encourage photographs, videos are invaluable. I have found the most effective teaching technique is humor. If they are laughing with me, they are engaged, and I can slip the information in easily.

It is very important in student retention to have the human factor included in their education. Fairness and Caring are a srong base for all student teacher relationships. If a student believes you are not fair, all trust is depleted. The student will not engage with the instructor, and therefore not learn properly or retain information.

Norma,
Well said and I am so glad you made this point. Sometimes I think administrators in colleges forget the value of their faculty as it relates to the connection to students. YES, the human factor is important because we are the reason our students keep coming to class and making progress in their learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is impossible to measure how important The human factor is but suffice it to say that if there is no human factor, such as this online course, only the most self motivated and enduring students will complete it. That may explain why asynchronous online courses or programs experience low retention.

I have ahd students tell me all the time that they cannot complete the program because they are a certain type of learner or it's just too hard etc.. I tell them that they can do it. It is tough, yes. Is it challenging at times, yes. But, I also let them know that the very same field they are entering into, there are millions of people all over the world that thought the same way and DID IT! This helps them to change their mindset a lot especially in the nursing program in which I teach.

Students are not perfect, as well as instructors. Trust and fairness rate very high in the over-all learning experience, as an adult learner.

What a profound statement! So true too!

Our retention is weighted with the rigor of the nursing coursework (in a 12 mth program) -- and an average of 75 being a requirement.

We make ourselves available to guide study habits, start study groups etc; but retention could definitely improve. We are investigating this.

The human factor involves engaging students as human beings who have a life full of experiences that have in part shaped them as learners. Each student brings these experiences--both in and out of school--to the classroom. Allowing students to share experiences orally and in writing can help them validate their lives and knowledge and help other students. In other words, students can teach other students. Tapping into their abundant knowledge base can help teachers create a productive learning environment.

Teri,
By keeping the human factor in mind you will be able to provide support to and for your students will upholding the rigors of your field. This is what career preparation should be about and you are doing a great job with your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe this is very important. I believe that if we show the students that we care about them and believe in them, it encourage them to try their best. In turn keeping them in the program to complete it. If we come across as cold and uncaring and the student is struggling, who is there to support and encourage them? We don't know. We could possibly be the only person giving them the encouragement.

By understanding that everyone is different you can set goals that they can meet

I think sharing professional experiences from the field really help my students see that I have been where they are and that they will be successful. If I can relate something to them, they see the value and their own personal ability given job specific application.

Of course, we want to return and continue the connection to the place we feel valued and respected. It is important, as an instructor, that we always remember that each student brings to the classroom an unique gift.

I am actually a graduate student at one school and an instructor in another subject area at different school. I can relate to many struggles students have and can illuminate the "why" side of teaching that often befuddles students. I often ask students how they would do things differently if they were in my shoes. And, for the most part, if students are struggling with the way I am presenting something or have set up an activity, I invite them to do it better and include me so that I can learn. I actually believe that there is always a way and together we'll figure it out. Although I don't intentionally place this into the class, it comes up. I am considering whether this should be placed into each class in some form or another.

Sign In to comment