Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Retention

One must take the time to see who is excited about the program. One must see if there is some that do not have the excitement and lack the enthusiasm. Take those and redevelop different stategies so to retain the interest of those that need special attention. This for me is not a challenge but the real labor of love I signed up for.

Hi Anthony,
Based upon your comments about looking for and keeping enthusiasm within your students I know you really enjoy being an instructor. When you enjoy your work it shows through and I am sure your students benefit from your dedication to your profession.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I attempt to maintain high retention by offering the students with real-life examples and by making the classroom a fun learning environment.

From Day one I tell my students to laugh - life is too serious to take too seriously. Mistakes are allowed - even encouraged. That's how we learn. I use personal experiences from 27+ years in the medical field - often poking fun at me - to show them that while what we do is serious and stressful, we have to find the tools to do well and keep trying. I also continually tell them how I admire their courage to come back to school. By sharing a part of me, they are encouraged to keep at it.

Hi Victoria,
Well said! A laugh not only is enjoyable but it is cleansing as well. It helps us to refocus and get ready to move to the next situation.
Gary

As a student instructor, i feel that the student need to feel confortable in the classroom reguardless of there age.It is a good ideal to get to know the students on the first name bases.
By following up with your students,shows them that you care.Always encourage them,and take time to listen to what they have to say.

Hi Clifton,
You covered the major components of getting your students settled in and feeling comfortable with a new instructor and new class. They have to feel respected and accepted in order feel a part of the class. You are showing you do care about them as students and about their future success.
Gary

I agree w/ you Robin. I bring myself once a week something that will put the class work together. I'm a computer technician but also I have a shop, so I bring some of the clients computer for students to see the kind of problems they will have to troubleshoot. Not only that Students learn how to solve the problem, but to learn how much they will charge for the fix/repair. I also encourage students to bring any computer if is malfunctioning and to share it with the class.

Hi Albert,
Good approach. My experience has been the say as yours, students like "live" work. I bring cases to my classes and have them work through them. They really get involved in using their newly acquired skills to seek solutions.
Gary

Hi Anthony,

I agree that you have to try to connect with students that are lacking the enthusiasm and excitement needed. I often find that being able to relate the class to their own experiences helps them to connect more with the class. In addition to just having the teacher be interested in their success.

Excitement like yawning it is contagious. As the learning leader I try to be as enthusiastic and positve as I can be-even if I do not feel like it. I have found that even my most troubled/resistant students will catch the bug to some degree and from there I can work with them on things that are impeading their learning that they would not originally let me address.

I agree completely.

I agree, if the instructor shows excitement about the material that will transfer over to the students. They see it in you so why shouldnt they be excited

I struggle with retention responsibilities in the fact in where does the responsibility actually lie. As an instructor, I know that I need to keep the student engaged and excited about coming to class. I believe too that the student needs to accept responsibility and be held accountable - which in all honesty - is what will be expected of him/her in the "real world" of a career. I truly believe that retention is not only in the classroom but how we can involve the student throughout their entire time at the school. We need to provide opportunities for the student to invest themselves - not only through clubs or committees but also in service to the school, the campus and then us as instructors giving back to them outside of the class as well.

Hi Ginny,
Good comments about student responsibility and the outcome results of their effort. In relation to the last sentence regarding getting them involved in the campus life I am a big fan and promoter of service learning. Through service learning students get to use their newly acquired skills as well as make a difference in the community where they do their service. A very powerful motivator for sure.
Gary

retention of students sometimes depends on factors beyond your vision, like personal issues in the students life. I've had a number of students suffering through a divorce, or surgery, or whatever. Getting them engaged helps them reach their goals in the face of adversity.

Well said Clifton. A recent Noel-Levitz study found that half of the students who leave their university never had a significant interaction with a faculty member, staff member, or resident assistant

Sign In to comment