Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Motivation Factors

What are some factors that contribute to student motivation?

I think positive reinforcement is the best way to go. No matter what age the students are good job or great idea goes along way in motivating someone.

Hi Ydania,
In your experience what kinds of positive reinforcement seem to work best with your students?
Gary

Little things like great job or wonderful work. I think praise not matter how simple, is a great motivator. I assist with girls softball and a little thing like nice try or you'll get it next time. Motivates them to try and do better.

With the "adult learners" it works the same you give a positive feed back to one and then they all try to excell to get the same encouragement.

I get students motivated with my excitement for the material. If I am excited to share the information, they become more motivated to learn. I also tell them that learning the technique will make them money and provide them with an increased level of job satisfation and personal fulfillment.

Hi Robert,
You hit a triple with your comments. Students like to hear about how they can make money, be satisfied with the work they are doing, and have personal fulfillment. If we can get this message across we will be able to engage our students more in the learning process and they will work harder to be successful in school.
Gary

I teach in the medical field and the capstone course for my students is a clinical practicum. Having recent grads come back to school and talk with my intro class students about their recent experiences on clinicals is a great motivator both for me and the new students.

The grads are able to empathize with the new students and convey (masterfully I might add) that although the program is tough, completing it is possible and very rewarding.

I'm also reminded of why I teach because it seems everyones favorite line is, "don't worry about a thing, Mrs. L gets in your head and stays with you the whole time"...Pretty high, yet humbling praise for an instructor to hear.

Hi Rosemary,
Thank you for these two examples of how to motivate students. The past grads are "money in the bank" for you when they come in and the current crop what it is "really" like out there. Even though you have said it many times, it really sinks in when a former students says it.
Enjoy the praise because you deserve it. Instructors work very hard at putting together an educational program for students and to hear that the program is effective and valued by past students is what keeps you coming back day after day.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers,
I think some factors that contribute to student movtivation would be positive reinforcement to the students.
Giving them positive feedback, and encouragement will help them grow. I believe in the educational environment it is very important.

Why is student assessment important in an online course?
Many university programs are beginning to integrate online classes into their curriculums. The newness of online learning raises many questions about class administration and quality assurance. Issues of online class quality are just being explored. Assessing students gives instructors learning-focused feedback. Assessments are a way to learn to rate student gains toward achieving the course goals and giving them the motivation without a grade to show they have mastered a concept.

Hi Carrie,
What are some effective ways that you have found to provide positive reinforcement to your students?
Gary

I also think that assessments of learning are more focused on what a student needs to know for their own success and gives them a better picture of their progress than grades that only show how they did on one assignments does.

I have found that if I give them more time on assignments and understand they have a life and are busy, they will complete late assignments.

The issue of excitement is an interesting one. I notice that a number of instructors use PowerPoint slides in their class. The result is like a prepackaged presentation with little interaction or eye contact. What seems to work best...varied techniques and real life application examples.

Hi John,
Human brains like variety while taking in new information. By offering variety of presentation, class flow and student interaction instructors can keep their students engaged in the learning process for longer periods of time.
Gary

1) Having empathy. Working students have their own set of unique problems which are genuine. You need to work with them, rather than penalize them for everything which will frustrate them
2) They hate it if you make them look stupid. So answer their questions and make them feel that there is nothing like a stupid question.
3) Be fair. Students are motivated if they find you fair
4) Be clear in your expectations. Students will be discouraged if they find that they could not do well because you were not clear in your expectations

A balance of positive reinforcement and areas of improvment is key to student motivation. That balance is determined by the assesment of the level of the student by the professor.

Hi Judith,
Identifying this balance is a critical part of being an instructor. You are in fact are offering consulting service to your students by evaluating their work and progress. This is the only time they will have your expertise available to them on a regular basis. Many students miss this point and only focus on the grade they are going to get in the course.
Gary

Students seem more motivated if they feel what they are learning will help them somehow, even if it is regarding their personal lives.

Sign In to comment