Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student motivation is the same as what motivates the instructors. We all want interesting presentation of new materials, excitement in using these new techniques and of course the monetary reward once we have mastered the techniques!

I am lucky because my field bases success on having fun and playing with toys. Yes, I am in IT. The more you learn, the more you know and the more you can do. Once this excitement transfers to the students - the sky is the limit.

Hi Carol,
You are right about motivation. When both the instructor and the students are motivated then learning can get really exciting. This is when a lot of "ah-ha" moments occur.
Gary

Hi, Dr. Meers,
The "motivating instructor" segment spells it out well. But all the cornerstone characteristics are not necessarily operating at the same level. For me, the top one is expertise. It's the first and foremost reason students come to our school. The other characteristics, though important, are in supporting roles. So it's my expertise that they're after first but if I am not enthusiastic, or empathetic, or clear those shortcomings will dominate the students' experience in my class. I need expertise first but must understand their needs and realities, be the enthusiastic leader and deliver clearly if I want to make it all happen in the best way for the greatest nimber of students.

Hi Gary,
Good point. Without expertise everything kinda falls apart since students are there to be educated by experts in the field so they can be successful upon graduation. All of the other attributes of a good instructor need to be in place, as you mention once the qualifications of the instructor have been established.
Gary

I try to motivate with stories of my experiences in the field, show and tell, and personalized encouragement.

I have found that my students are most motivated when the hear about my experiences in the field. I generally share with them that through the learning process they can have the same experiences that I or any of their instructors have had. I also bring in former students to share their experiences with school and the "real world" upon graduation.

I think practicing the factors discussed here--empathy, clarity, and empathy--go a long way towards motivating students, which in turn helps refresh the instructor!

Hi Everyone,

There are quite a few factors that contribute to student motivation that it's hard to list them all in just one posting. To name a few, here are some of the factors that affect student motivation: time management, financial management, personal interest in the material being studied, desire to achieve a better quality of life for themselves and their families, recognition, being a lifelong learner, professional responsibilities, relationships, etc.

Like the ED102 training communicated, at any given time students can be influenced by many different factors so often times it's a balancing act that many students engage in to keep their motivational levels up. Based on my experience as an educator, I would say that those who are successful in their educational endeavors are ones who never lose sight of their long-term goals, but understand it's by putting one foot in front of the other and building upon the daily routine and activities that will get them to where they desire to be.

Thanks!

Julie

Hi Julie,
Good point about how to achieve one's career goals. Keep plodding forward and make progress each day. When a student loses sight of his/her ultimate goal then they are more adapt leave school or become discouraged.
Gary

Students like to hear positive reinforcement. They like to know if they are doing well in the course. It may be small or large.

Julie, your last comment is sage advice for anyone trying to achieve a goal.

I have found that if a person says, "Money" that they are hinding the real motivation. Most often motivation is success oriented, family oriented, or the simple need for job skills for onc's own support.
If money is mentioned, I ask the student why they chose this particular field that really does not rate high on the salary level. Then I ask if they were to get minimum wage, would they still be interested?
I then get more of an answer like, "Well, I need to take care of my family." This then becomes their motivation and not really the money.

Hi Richard,
Good point about motivation. Emotional motivation (like support of family) drives students at a much higher level than does money. When emotional motivation is involved students work much harder to achieve success since they want to please and/or support their family.
Gary

Being very pleasant and giving positive comments to students is very effective for me. Students also need to know that you flexible and willing to work with them if they have sick children. I make it known that I will help them to the best of my ability with learning disabilities.

I find that varying the class material from group activities, to lecture, etc. helps keep them engaged. My eagerness and excitement about the material usually weighs in as a great motivator. I agree with cutting out busy work, and making every assignment worth their time and interest as another key motivator.

I think factors that contribute to student modivation include:
1. The instructor knowing their students name---I work hard on doing that, so they feel more welcome and maybe feel like "hey, he cares".
2. Always giving feedback; in a constructive positive manner
3. Taking a short amount of time to see if current students have any real world experience they could share with the class

Factors that may contribute to student motivation are first and foremost their reason for taking the class. Are they being forced to do so by parents, employers, etc. These students would likely come in less motivated, as opposed to someone who is taking the class because it is a step toward their completing their goal (degree, job, grad school, etc.) or who may be taking the class because they are truly interested in the topic. Instructor motivation can definitely help motivate a student to want to perform in the class, and get as much out of it as they can.

Students seem to be motivated by grades, "pleasing the instructor," desire to achieve a certain career goal, and enjoying the social aspects of class.

Some of the factors that contribute to student motivation are their age, why they are taking the course, their personal support systems or lack thereof, and their actual needs.
The younger students have less life experiences and maturity to make educational decisions. The non-traditional student may be enduring a job relocation due to downsizing, etc and feel forced to attend. They may want to develop a new skill or perfect a skill they already have to be more employable. It is difficult to be motivated if you can't get to school without transportation.
An important key is to give true motivation and encouragement. Otherwise, words are cheap. The students pick up on that real quickly.

Provide assignments and projects that are challenging yet doable. This may be difficult when dealing with a group of students who have a range of abilities. Giving choices to projects--some more challenging than others--is a way to motivate better students and allow less skilled students to still participate.

Sign In to comment