Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My field of expertise is pretty wide as are the occupations for which students are preparing. I find that it is possible to find that spark for what interests most students at one point or another. I view it as finding their "light bulb moment".

I think that especially in adult learners the application of the topics being taught is a great way to increase student motivation.

Mariann,
This is such a fun time in teaching. When the light bulb goes on and you know they got it that makes the rest of the class go so well. You know you have helped someone to see their future and how they can become a part of the career they have chosen.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Some factors that contribute to motivation are immediate feedback, positive reinforcement, application of course material and engaging instruction and empathy for the student.

Kent,
Good list. Thank you for sharing it with us because these items are what will help to keep students engaged an focused for the duration of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students love to be motivated to learn in class

I agree that motivation is key. Let us not forget that we are the leaders of that classroom. The role models. The second we walk in the students are watching us, waiting to see what we'll do or say next. If we walk in without a smile and lacking energy and motivation in getting our day started , how can we expect our students to have it.

Ana,
Well said and a point we need to remember each time we interact with students. We are being observed and so we need to always conduct ourselves in a professional manner.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Agreed Cheryl. It is not just dedication,enthusiasm, & passion alone that will motivate a student. A discovery of success can really enhance a student's motivation.

Even though there are general factors influencing motivation; each student has specific motivational factors.
If the instuctor maintains enthusiam for the subject, this is one primary general factor.
However, I also try to discover each student's individual motivation. I find that many students today are looking for a personal connection to the subject or the instuctor. If the instructor can find that particular motivator, the student can develop a roadmap for learning. Some students like to talk about their past careers, other just want to focus on the subject to be taught. If you can find the student's interest and make a connection to what is being taught, you will have a successful student.

You are so correct. This is a prime motivator for many students today.

This is always a challenge. I have so many students I am trying to motivate on a daily basis and still there are always a few students that hardly ever have their work completed when due.

Terry,
This is common for all of us. I work hard to engage all of my students but the reality is even though they paid tuition and selected to come to college some students will be tardy, absent, non-completers or negative. I work with these students but try to keep in mind that I have a great bunch of students that really want to be there and I enjoy my rapport with them and hope the others will somehow catch fire and get excited about learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Terry,
This is a key point. Finding that personal motivator is so exciting because then you have something to build on with that student. The more of these motivators you have the more engaged the bulk of the class will be.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I distinctly remember instructors I've had in the past that helped keep me motivated. I analyze why they motivated me. It was 1)enthusiasm for the subject, 2)a human connection to make me feel I can do well and have the same enthusiasm.

In addition, two instuctors can present the same content, but one will provide such clarity that all the analogies make sense.
I remember one algebra class I had taken. I did ok but struggled. Next semester I took an advanced algebra class and the instuctor made it so easy to understand..I really enjoyed the course...and I learned something!

I try to model my teaching methods from my positive past experiences.

I find teaching very rewarding and satisfying. I can be a positive influence on so many individuals. I can change my methods to help each individual student; all with individual needs.

In our society, we tend to make generalizations about our educational system; such as certian teaching methods for the masses, certian standard tests to gauge ability. That only works to a point. There needs to be more individualized instruction. We usually set social policies that will work on a mass scale.
I know personally I could have done better myself with more personal instruction...but I was part of a "large" class and we all progressed the same.

Terry,
It is great that you have such instructors in your past from whom you can draw examples of how you want to develop your own instructional style. Through your comments I can see that you are well on your way in developing a comfortable, supportive and engaging style that will help students be successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to encourage my students by showing them what is hiring out in the field at the time.

Jill,
This is where reality comes in to play. Your students are there to prepare for a career and you are showing them what is going to be available to them. This increases their understanding of what kind of future they are creating for themselves.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree. Finding a connection between student goal and course objectives and making that connection apparent can really help with student motivation.

Sign In to comment