Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using the whole range of positive reenforcers is necessary in a class. Everyone responds to some sort, but not everyone responds to the same methods. Verbal praise may work for some, others a pat on the back. Younger students respond to a high five or a fist bump, while older students like a warm handshake. You need to know the individual and what he/she will respond to the most.

I think one factor that contributes to the motivation of students would be for them to be able to share their experiences. In doing so students are engaged in the class and get motivated to complete the class.

Hi Joseph,
Key point. You have relate to the students within their frame of reference. By knowing how to relate to them you are also on your way to developing rapport with the students.
Gary

When students feel that what they are learning is going to directly benefit them, they are more motivated in a class. When they feel that an instructor is genuinely interested in their success, they are also more motivated.

There are many factors that contribute to a students motivation. Acknowledging when the students preform well. Understanding of difficult situations that make it necessary for students to turn their work in late. Being a cheerleader for the student in both good times and bad. Positive interaction from the teacher under most all situations will keep the student motivated.

Reinforcement is definitely one of the major aspect as students can easily loose stamina and focus if they perceive that their performances are below their expectations.

Also, I personally think that linking the topic of the class to the overall goal of knowledge development and relevance to their current or future field of activity can help motivating the students.

The course materials covered this topic, but I think this discussion question is probably asking for more personal insight on the topic. I teach primarily online classes, and student motivation is somewhat different than ground-based classes, so I will reflect on this perspective on student motivation.

Online learners must be self-motivated to some degree. These students are generally working adults and they are responsible for getting the assignments completed because there are no scheduled times to be in a classroom and receive the extra push this environment can provide. Consequently, I try to watch the time logs carefully to determine who is coming to the classroom and spending time in the class materials and assignments. When I recognize a lack of student motivation, then I try to take action.

The students I have often respond well to challenges. If I give them something to do beyond the normal coursework (which can be boring), then their excitement levels increase. For example, I teach a lot of programming courses and I often toss in a challenge for them to show me some code to solve a particular problem. They enjoy looking for solutions and sharing them with the class.

Another good way for me to motivate the students is through the discussion threads. I ask leading questions that help them explore topics more fully, and they often respond by telling me how interesting the topic was once they got into it a little deeper.

Kurt

Students stay motivated to learn when faculty present content with enthusiasm and presenting the material so it is relevant to students' experiences, or future career goals. Students also like it when material is presented in different formats. Keep them quessing as to which methods you are going to use. In-class case studies, share pair share, mini group projects, and discussions help to keep them motivated.

Ileana,

I think you hit on a strong point about the student experiences. If you can make the material relevant, students will identify with it and naturally be more motivated.

Kurt

I agree with the concept that there are a few motivational techniques (ie grades) that will work with a large group of students. Then there are some students that need a different approach to be motivated. A one-on-one relationship will usually help determine what it is that will keep the student engaged in the class and moving forward with their career goals. It is part of an instructor's responsibilities and it can be the greatest reward to know you played a part in that student's success!
Debi

Factors that contribute to student motivation are many and varied. Some studnets are motivate by personal success and achheivement. They are self-motivated, while others are motivated to learn only if they can see the practical application of the material. All of us are subject to losing are motivation when our personal lives dictate that we move our attention from our studies to the things happening in our lives. As instructors it is up to us to find out what motivates each student and give them learning opprotunities that are directed by their individual motivations.

I really like the section on the 4 cornerstones of being a motivating instructor: expertise, empathy, enthusiasm, and clarity. Personally, I feel that empathy contributes a lot to student motivation. Each student wants to be treated indivually, so it's important to get to know each student. Then if/when those unexpected circumstances arise, students appreciate some flexibility. However, it's also important to maintain a sense of fairness. That's where the syllabus and communicated expectations can assit in the motivation process.

Hi Jill,
This is a very good point and is so true. Rapport helps to build the learning connection between instructor and student. Then as you say when a problem comes up the instructor can focus on getting the student through the problem and ready to continue to forward in his/her learning.
Gary

We need to have excitement over material we are covering reguardless of what we feel about the material. It shows in body language voice tones and your over all excitement. Give examples of the fun that can happen and money that can be made by knowing this subject.

I think it is always important to remind students that this is a learning enviroment. Don't be affraid to make mistakes, however when mistakes are made make sure they learn from them.

I agree that positive reinforcement is a great way to motivate learners. In addition to showing relevancy between the subject and their lives or careers, I always leave a positive comment on papers or assignments that shows I've taken the time to read and appreciate them (in addition to letting them know what to improve in the next one). Letting students know that relevant questions they have make me think more deeply or in a different way about the subject matter is another way to motivate. Friendly competition also works with adult learners. I give study guides two to three days before an exam, and play a review game, like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, with them the day before. It's amazing to see how they "bone up" just to win the game!

What I have found to be the most prominant student motivator is my (instructor) attitude. If I enter a classroom lab pumped and ready to share I find that the students are always motivated. However if I am tired or off a bit, they can tell and it definatley affects their motivation.

One of the biggest factors that I have notice is when a student passes a test that was supposedly difficult to pass and scores a 100 percent that has a tendency to motivate the student .

Hi Marcos,
Success breeds success. So if you can set the stage for their test success and reduce anxiety they will have a lot more confidence when the next test come up.
Gary

Everyone has a story. Allow sutdents to tell their story. They will apply that to the class. Others may be able to relate to the story and provide a discussion.

Sign In to comment