Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it makes learning more enjoyable for the students, and teaching more enjoyable for the instructor. In my experience, having a good rapport with the students makes them want do do well in the class.

Developing student rapport is important because it builds the foundation of your professional relationship. The students will see value in your knowledge and participate in class. More importantly, they will want to attend class because they are learning and finding benefits of being in your class.

I believe developing a rapport with the students is extrememly important in the sense that it not only sets up the atmosphere for respect, but it also opens up the trust windows. It allows for openness with students who do not possess the best self confidence in themselves and makes the teaching area much easier and much more comfortable for everyone. By having that rapport, the students learn to trust and gain each others respect as well. They learn that they can not only turn to the instructor for help but can also rely on each other. It has worked well for me for several years now.

Sandra,
Great points about developing rapport with students. I have a format that I follow in all of my classes. "Courtesy is owed." I will extend courtesy to you as a result of you enrolling in my class and I expect the same from you. "Respect is earned." I will work to earn your respect just as you need to work to earn mine. "Rapport is developed." Together we will work on developing rapport with each other so we all can benefit and grow from our experiences in this class. These three statements really helps students to focus on how to be successful in my class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

students need to know that they can go to their instructor for any reason. Instructors must support their students and help them succeed.

I think the most difficult part of teaching is in developing a rapport. It is necessary to connect the students with the subject being taught, to each other, and to the instructor.
I want to allow students to see me the person as well as me the teacher. Rapport is established when the students trust the knowledge in the room, the direction and objective of the instructor as well as the course content. The instructor must also gain trust in the students. It requires trust in every direction. All the while, maintaining professional boundaries.

James,
This is an important understanding for students to have. Knowing they have a caring instructor that will listen goes a long way in keeping a student moving forward in a class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Jenny,
I think one of the big rewards of teaching is the development of rapport with students but yes, it can be difficult. We need to show our human side as educators, be supportive, be consistent and earn student respect. Once all of this is done the groundwork has been laid for the development of rapport and personal growth of the student.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think one of the most important ways to build rapport with students is to truly listen to their comments and questions during class, and to always respond thoughtfully. This shows students that you care about what they have to say, their own experiences, and that their questions are important. I believe this really helps to build trust and understanding between teacher and student.

You must be able to relate to your students to really reach and teach them. I believe sometimes you have to extend yourself beyond what is comfortable to learn your students and build rapport. I think having that connection and relateability provides the instructor with an different line of communication.

Chloe,
I agree about listening. When you are listening you are learning. When students know they have an instructor that listens they are much more engaged in the course and the effort to be successful.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It all comes back to trust. Building rapport with a student very much the way a sales person builds rapport with clients builds trust in the relationship. In a way we are selling ourselves to students. They are paying money for our services and it's up to us to prove our expertise to the students by gaining their trust. They are the consumer and if they don't believe in the product that we offer then they can and will take their money elsewhere.

If the student feels you have a level of compassion for your class, they make it a point not to let you down. They feel drawn to be in class and complete every assignment, because they know you care and they want to match that level of feelings.

Adrienne,
Good point about trust and rapport. If we can earn the respect of our students by being professional and prepared we then can develop rapport with them as the course progresses.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I know for me being younger then at least 50% of my students most of the time, rapport is very important. They need to know that I am here to help, not hinder, and that i am knowlegable but also willing to hear what they have to share and relate it to what we are discussing.

Brandon,
Key point for all students to understand about you. You are there at the learning leader and you have the knowledge and experience to be such. Your age is not a consideration but your expertise is.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

James I feel that one of the key words you use is meaningful. Students, especially adult students can see through attempts that fill time or have little or no meaning to their current life or situation. I feel adult students to be truly engaged have to feel that we are guiding them to their goals and not just wasting their time or effort.

There are many reasons why establishing a rapport with the students are important. The good portion of establishing a good rapport with the students will develop trust with the student on a interpersonal level. The bad part is that some student can't keep it separated and believe in favoritism with their grades. The best thing is to keep it strictly professional at all times, the rapport will come naturally.
Thanks

I feel it is very important because once you build a rapport with your students you can connect with them and they have no barries when learning the subject you are teaching them.

Building a rapport with students can make the difference when teaching. Developing rapport includes building trust,and getting to know the students to help better understand the background of students and help with classroom management and instruction.

Sign In to comment