Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing Student Rapport

Why is the development of rapport with students so important in teaching?

Developing student rapport, could mean acceptance to students, which could pave a way for effective learning.

John,
Student acceptance is a powerful learning tool. Knowing someone in authority respects you greatly enhances the feeling a student has toward a class and his/her success.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Developing student rapport is the gateway towards building self-confidence which leads to students' success in the acquirement of knowledge and skills expected of them.

I think it is important that the students trust me and that I as the instructor listen to their concerns.

It is essential to have the greatest rapport with students so that the student may trust and feel at ease when questions arise on a particular situation.

Alex,
Student rapport helps to set the tone for the class as you say and this enhances the participation by all students in discussions and student interactions.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree with the module, which states that "by having rapport with students, instructors should have fewer student management issues." As the only female instructor in an automotive program, I encounter hostility, vulgarity and disrespect on a daily basis by a few disgruntled students. Developing rapport with these students is one of my biggest challenges.

Rhonda,
You do work in a tough situation and I commend you for being able to cope with these student "bullies". I wish you success in developing rapport with such students and if not rapport at least respect from them in that you are a professional with experience that can help them move toward their career goals. If they don't realize that and still disrespect you then they should be removed from the program because with attitudes like that they are not going to be successful in the work world.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As an instructor I like to tell the students that "your success is my success." I want you to be successful. This establish a rapport of trust that we are all going to get through this, learn something and apply it to the real world.

Balancing the line of authority may be tricky at times but I have been successful thus far. By developing a rapport with mystudents I am building trust with trust comes decreased tension in class and has opened it to more constructive participation.

it allows the students to gain trust in you and your skills in the field you are instructing. Plus it makes life easier in the class setting

Linda,
Great way to introduce the success factor into the learning environment plus it is so true. Your success is their success that is why you are a teacher. You are helping them to reach their goals and achieve success as a result of your instruction.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Instructor/student rapport creates a more relaxed learning environment opening the door for more involvement and discussion.

I agree. A good rapport allows students to feel that they are in a safe environment...free from criticism and free to participate and open up.

Valerie,
Yes, they do. As a result of rapport more engagement and learning is going to occur.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Increasing student rapport leads to better student trust and a better understand of the course material. You are not trying to be a best friend or peer just increasing the understanding each other.

Developing student rapport is very important to encourage the students to engage in discussions. When students feel that they can safely offer their opinions and engage in conversations they are more willing to do so. That process enhances their educational experience and helps them remember content.

Marilyn,
I think developing rapport with students is a very rewarding part of being an educator. By having rapport with them learning is enhanced plus I am welcoming them into my field upon completion of their program.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Finding a common bond with someone allows you to let your guard down. If you can relate to someone you find a common ground and can refer to that when communicatiing. Because you are with your students for so long it is important to have a relaxed and respectful rapport with them. This also models how they should be professional yet social in a career setting.

Justine,
So true and very important for teaching success. This helps the students to move forward toward their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment