Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adult learners differ from their younger counterparts in many ways. One way is due to their overall cognitive functions: they may be slower to remember things (yet still have a decent memory capacity), and they may be slower in performing tasks. Adult learners also differ due to the reasons they are seeking higher education degrees. They tend to be motivated by major life changes, such as getting married, having a baby, or switching careers. Other reasons adult learners seek out higher education degrees, aside from increasing their job prospects, include wanting to be more social, meeting the demands of a boss, assisting their communities, and learning for the sake of learning. While motivations for learning differ for adult learners, their barriers for successfully completing a degree also differ and include lack of interest in the subject matter, trouble finding child care or transportation, conflicts with schedules, and inability to pay for their courses.

Adults have different motivations for seeking education.  Understanding these and removing barriers will help them get the most of their education and also facilitate them sharing their life knowledge and experience.

I have had great success with older (late twenties) students. I believe that the maturity of there minds are much better and more focused on the material vs the younger students I usually get say fresh high-school grads that still have that inmature mind set.

The data with % is very helpful to show learning trends. I liked the section on long term memory and career related motivation. In addition it is useful to know the barriers to learning for successful teaching and engagement.

Adults have different reasons for wanting to further their education.

The majority of adult learners begin their new set of studies due to a major life event; i.e. marriage, new job. 

Adults learning is different to child's learning. The motivation, speed of learn, available time, interest in the topics and previous knowledge are some important elements to be considered.

Adult learners are individuals with many responsibilities. The learning experience are motivated by big special events in their lives.

Most have some sort of higher education, slower at learning new info but cognitive skills have not diminished. 

Comment on Leny Ramos's post: I have found that adult learners want to learn specific information that relates to their interests, needs or previous life experiences.

Sign In to comment