Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel that adult learners bring many different skills and learning challenges to the classroom. They also bring experience as well.  

Adult learners return to the learning environment for many different reasons, including job advancement, a new challenge, expectations of an authority figure, etc. However, what stuck out to me was the fact that LTM capacity does not decrease with age. Of course, processing speeds do decrease, but overall capactity does not. Interesting. 

There are many reasons why adult learners decide to get an education and as tehy get older, over 50, the reasons change.

The reasons adult learners return or continue in school include:

-developing social bonds

-satisfying expectations at place of work

-serving the community

-advancing professionally

-stimulating thought

-leraning for learning's sake

-having a sense of greater purpose in life

Take into account why they are there and what might be road blocks.

Adults have different reasons for seeking education.  Generally adult learners come with alot of knowledge and experience in both edication and life experience.

When it comes to adult learning, some people learn better through lectures, whiles others need a more on-hands enviroment to grasp a new concept or idea. We need to adapt our strategies to fit our team of adults.

Every adult has different learning style

I've worked with babies, children, and adolescents. When working and/or teaching adults, it's always good to talk to them at their level. We are both adults. Adults have roles, responsibilities, and experiences for a long time and it may not be easy to be a student because of them. It is also important to understand their situation and be compassionate if they don't perform like the other students.

improperly explained cources can result in a lack of intrest or poor performance in the curiculum. 

Adult learners have many responsibilities that may hinder their learning experience. Whether it is financial, scheduling, child care, they face a lot of barriers.

The lesson has taught me that adult learners have various motivation and barriers in education.

It is important to remember everyone learns differently. 

Adult learners need to know the 'why' of the material.  Application is very important.

I've learned that adult learners have significant barriers or obstacles that they may encounter in their learning process. As an educator I need to be aware of these obstacles to assist the adult learner to be successful in their course.

Motivations depend on students' needs and this is why they are seeking different kinds of courses and carreers.

Capacity to learn does not diminish with age. 

Adult learners have various motivating reasons for perusing further education and also have different skills in processing learning materials.

Adults optimize there learning experience around personal built in life obligations. It is important to quickly identify and accommodate for these obligations early on to retain students.

An adult learner has their own reasons for seeking education.  Advancing in their career or on a personal level is often the case.  There are often obstacles that get in the way and can be challenging for an adult learner to overcome to be successful. My role as an adult educator is help the student overcome these, and to attain their goal. 

Sign In to comment