Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

it is difficult in class of 40 plus learners with a 'tight' curiculum to determine individual learning styles. I try to differentiate my approach in order to reach as many ntelligences as possible. Dr. Gardners latest research "5 Minds for the Future" is great to understand what adult learners at career colleges will need to be succesful.

Willis,
You are following a very sound strategy with your changing of the pace of the class and using different delivery techniques. This way you are appealing to the different learning preferences of your students.
Gary

Unfortuately, the multiple intelligence lacking in many nursing students tends to be the logigal methodology. When discussing medication calculations that require mathematics the students have a difficult time processing this information. I try to turn this process into a kinesthetic and visual learning task that the majority of nursing sutdents can relate to and comprehend.

The idea odf building scaffolds is a creative and easy to apply. This should make the absorbtion and retention of the material more structured and therefore easier for the students.

i find myself teaching differant methods and not even trying to do this

Colleen,
Good for you and your approach. The more the students can understand and see things in a graphic way the greater their knowledge retention and application is going to be.
Gary

Kenny,
It really does help with long term knowledge retention and applications.
Gary

This is actually something that I have been using as part of a course I teach at another online school. It's important because it helps you avoid the one-size-fits-all mentality. You can't build a course and expect that all of your students need to adjust to you. Most people fall into several categories, so it does nothing but enhance the course when you build several different methods into your course.

When I develop curriculum for a particular subject area I take into account multiple intelligences. When preparing deliverable material for the class, organizing the scope and sequence of the class and plan class projects and activities I am conscious of these levels and do my best to incorporate all of them in the planning process as well as delivery. While often difficult to do it is rewarding when it is successful.
Michael Adessa

This is a challenge involving the kinesthetic style preference as the content is mostly visual and auditory. By having students complete projects outside of the class that involve doing something other than reading, writing, or speaking will meet the learning preference needs of learners with the kinesthetic preference.

It will make me use various media to communicate course content. I can make sure I address more than one learningstyle and thus make learning more interesting.

I always assume that I have all four typs of learners in front of me and try to use as many methods of teaching as possable this involves many trips to the lab every day to let them get hands on as well as class instruction

I start by presenting material visually with powerpoint and board presentations. I mix in live demonstrations at strategic points of the presentation. If applicable, I will add short projects with the students broken into groups that seem to work together well. Then, once they are in lab, I will look for areas that seem to be generating the most confusion and do group demos. I offer tutoring to students who want it and try to gear the tutoring to their needs. Sometimes I use a "counter-punching" technique where what I offer is generated by how they respond to what I have already offered. It's a fluid process that let's me adapt as needed.

Kerry,
Good strategy to follow. This is good teaching because you are offering varied learning opportunities in the different learning preference areas.
Gary

There is a growing discussion about the actual validity of multiple intelligences. Some educational psychologists maintain that they are more aptly described as talents. I like the idea of drawing upon them to maintain a variety of presentation styles and activities. By employing various methods, instructors can maintain a stimulating environment.

Christina,
What ever the description of how humans process information the key is to help them to select the needed information and internalize it for future use. The more accurately we can do the the greater success our students are going to have. This is one of the great things about teaching because it is challenging and rewarding to be able to do this.
Gary

I teach baking science to culinary students. A typical lesson would be making chocolate chip cookies. A techer that does not understand how to reach students with multiple intelligences may approach their teaching in a l;imted way.
For example, they might stand up in front of the class and read aloud, from the book, the steps for mixing the cookies and then have the students mix the cookie batter on their own.

This may work for the auditory learner but it does not help the visual learners very much. The instructor could modify their lesson to include a physical demonstration of mixing the cookies. This way the visual learner could also benefit from reviewing each step. The instructor could also modify the way the students produce the cookies by putting them in teams of two. Small group dynamics can enhance student learning by providing reinforcement of material in a less threatening way. Sometimes students feel more comfortable to review steps with a classmate, rather than with the instructor. The student may feel intimidated asking the instructor for help for fear of appearing stupid, but they may be less scared to ask a classmate for help. This is an example of interpersonal intelligence.

remebering that students are at differant levels and having the more advanced students explain topics to the rest of the class help with the understanding of the subject being delivered

As mentioned here by other instructors,I alsdo use different techniques which assist me in teaching to multiple intelligences.As a DA Instructor I use different teaching techniques in the Dental Lab for example,by watching a video of a particular dental procedure or DA skill ,then going over the info presented in the video along with reading the procedure sheet.Then I demonstrate the particular dental skill,have the students practice it,and give them constant feed back on their progress in achieving the new skill.

Holt,
Good way to provide different learning opportunities, change of pace and learning preference venues. All of these contribute to the student being engaged and focused on the content.
Gary

Sign In to comment