Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is an area that continues to fascinate. From early on I've always felt that there were different forms of intelligence that did not show on traditional IQ tests. The research into thses areas is long overdue and illuminating. In my math classes I always tell my students what it is imperative that they know. I tell them draw pictures, song a song, make a speech, find a movement that aids them. I offer some examples, usually an imporomptu rap on algebra or med math. Funny and effective.

Larry,
Good strategies. I read a saying that I think captures your form comments. "It isn't how smart you are, but how you are smart." I believe this because we are all given different abilities and intelligences and we need to learn how to use them to our advantage.
Gary

Howard Gardner's research and theories on multiple intelligences teaches us a lot about what to expect from our students and ourselves as instructors. Since our students may exhibit intelligence types that we do not currently tap into or assess in our classes, we need to develop ways to include these. This is not easy but it should become a part of our curriculum. Those students who have verbal intelligence will do well with most of the current curriculum in my courses - written and reading assignments will assess that. Students with higher math skills or spatial skills may find written work to be more of a challenge. This is why the written assignments allow students an opportunity to apply their knowledge through the use of case studies - they can "see a hypothetical scenario" and plan their responses using a logical format.

Unfortunately, not many opportunities exist in my courses for students who excel in bodily/kinesthetic/athletic intelligence or naturalist intelligence. There are opportunities however for students to engage in activities that tap into interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence since many assignments require students to perform introspective tasks and offer advice to their classmates.

It is important for me to encourage each of these intelligence types to flourish in my classroom by offering the different mediums for expression.

I will be sure to use all 4 of the main learning styles, auditory, visual, written and kinesthetic, in presenting the material I have to teach. Since most nursing students tend to be kinesthetic learners, class activites are always good and keep them interested.

Learning about the students intellegence helps to present the same educational material in different forms.
Example: teaching theory portion of foley insertion but by demonstrating the technique and having students actually practicing the procedure and return demonstration.

Hence most of the intellegent groups usually get benefitted.

Dr. Meers

I think I could say it would not be affected. The teaching methodology it could be “ adjusted / Changed” to cover the diverse multiple intelligences, and at the same time gaining there attentions.

The processes of selecting, modifying or designing instructional materials are essential by analyzing the delivery methods. I believed the teaching methodologies I have chosen could need to be in compliance with the course objectives.

Some suggestions that help to improve my teaching techniques were:

1. Presenting a clear objectives at the beginning of each session
2. Implementing percentages of interaction with video, role-play or group discussion.
3. Audiovisual materials
4. Case studies.
5. Internet research
6. Fieldwork.

Moreover, Rothwell & Kazanas, (2008) acknowledged that is essential to selecting appropriate participation and motivational strategies.

I will add in my personal perspective: With the new technologies advances the multiple intelligent it has been very challenging for the education field.

References

Rothwell, W. J., & Kazanas, H. C. (2008). Mastering the instructional design process: A systematic approach (4th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Pfeiffer.

We require our students to take an assessment at www.humanmetrics.com. I usually require them to write a one page paper on what the results were, how they agree or disagree with the results, and how did this assignment affect what they knew about themselves. Many of them did not realize that there is a name associated with how they learn.

My teaching methodology has to include instructional strategies to target each type of intelligence. I have to ensure that I use a variety of delivery techniques, activities, and assignments to enhance each type of learner so that all types can process the information in the way that best suits them. I have to be versatile in my delivery and realize that multiple intelligences is real. I must be conscious of each of my students, and group them in ways that enhance their learning experience, not hinder them.

When in the classroom, I try to give students information in as many ways as I can. I lecture, I use visual aids, I re-word things, and as often as I can, I take them to the lab so they can see and touch the things I've been talking about.

I build better rapport and relationships with my students the more variety I use in the classroom as well. I incorporate video, lecture, and hands on activities every day.

My understanding of multiple intelligences will positively affect my delivery of course material. I will continue to use a variety of resources and enhance some current activities as well.

I think when you understand the combination of learning preference and multiple intelligences, it can help you refine your lesson plans for those particular learners.

For instance, our students primarily exhibit a preference for kinesthetic learning, but we have many lecture-based classes. Those who are linguistic will not mind, but those who are not very strong in linguistic intelligence might not apply the information efficiently enough. By providing a number of different avenues for learning, you can hope to snare the rest of the students with varying intelligences.

-E.A.W.

I think gathering information on a personal level prior to the beggining of the course can define the classes level of thought. This can be achieved by asking about prior education and even personal interests. Then i can tailor the complexity of examples and metaphors etc

its important to be able to make sure that the whole class is getting what they need form the course some learn faster and some need more time so we need to gauge the right amount of information to get it to thr whole class and not too slow to bore the faster ones

I, almost daily, use a varied method of delivery of information. I also change up presentation methods. I seem to be able to reach all my students by using these techniques.

If all were created equal and there were no differences in students and their learning then teaching would be boring. It is essential for a teacher or instructor to understand and use varying techniques to teach classes in order to reach every student. I have often called upon a student who expresses an understanding of the subject to share that understanding with his/her peers. I will sit in their seat and watch the interaction of the other students in order to gauge the success of this lesson. Some times the best way to teach someone how to make an omelet is to let someone who can...just do it...The worst thing that can happen is you break a few eggs...and then cook again. Did I mention that a use of humor helps...?
Additionally I learn from the student which in turn gives me a larger arsenal of ways to deliver successful lessons.

I have always tried to mix things up, use different methods and explain things in different ways. Now I understand why it works well. Being aware of multiple itelligences kind of turned on the lights for me. Pretty good Module!

Maritza,
Thank you for these comments in relation to the work that Dr. Gardner has done in multiple intelligence identification and development. This information enables us to see cognitive processing in an expanded way which then leads us to developing more effective instructional delivery.
Gary

Maria,
Right you are in your comments about the challenges that education has had in recent years with the development of both technology and new learning strategies.
Gary

Joseph,
I like your approach to teaching and learning. There is a saying that goes "Talking is not Learning." By having your students become part of the teaching process you get the opportunity to be an observer and learner while still directing the educational efforts of your students. Great plan.
Gary

Sign In to comment