Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Marie,
Good point about teaching in a variety of ways. An additional benefit of using a of variety of ways of offering instruction is that it keeps your interest high as you are working on selecting additional activities that you can use in your course. This keeps you from getting into a rut with your teaching and helps you stay fresh.
Gary

By being cognizant of how they perceive various concepts being taught.

Hi Lawrence,
What are some ways you go about being cognizant of the ways students are processing the concepts being taught?
Gary

My use of this information is somewhat restricted by the dynamics of asynchronous online learning, with almost no options for integrating kinesthetic or musical intelligence. What I can try to do is modify my required live chats' contents, so that there is greater attendance and interest in realtime activities. Live chats do include (one-way audio), and rely primarily on visual/spatial and verbal/linguistic capabilities.

Mentoringt is a good idea and well-established practice, but difficult to apply in an asynchronous online learning environment.

Hi Nora,
I know of what you are speaking since I teach a number of my courses using the same format and delivery as you. It does make it tough to offer the variety that students like and keeps them engaged. I know there constant improvements on the things that we can do with our online courses as technology gives additional tools to use. We do have to keep the human factor introduced in all of this and make sure our students can benefit from our experience and expertise even if we aren't meeting face to face.
Gary

The delivery needs to be different throughout the course to accommodate for multiple intelligences. I would start to deliver lectures with visuals and written handouts as I lecture to the class.

I've had a general understanding that individuals process information differently, but this was a great lesson to have it laid out succinctly. It will affect my teaching methodology in that I am going to evaluate my lesson plan and teaching techniques to better understand how I do it. I see that it's very important to consider MI, and I want to ensure that I am using a variety of instructional techniques to reach the entire class. This lesson will help me design my lesson plans to include a variety of teaching methods. I look forward to doing this.

Thanks, Doug

Hi Doug,
Good to hear about the module content. I will look forward to hearing about your successes.
Gary

I try to use everything available to me to get my points across. I use many different examples when illustrating concepts. I find visual aids very helpful to illustrate the more difficult concepts and repetition of main points tend to help those who struggle. I am open to all methods of instruction and am constantly refining my materials to appeal to all ability levels of my students. I endeavor to reach every student in my class, no matter how fast or slow they process the information. I explain concepts on different levels, using many examples to get the information to connect for them on a personal level.

Hi Paula,
You have a great strategy for trying to reach the learning preferences and intelligences of your students. I have found that by trying different instructional deliveries I get to use my creativity and that keeps my interest in the course at a high level even though I have taught the course many many times.
Gary

Realizing that each student has a different approach to the material will be very valuable in assessing how I might need to cater not only my own teaching style but the presentation of the material. Recognizing multiple intelligences is the first step to recognizing how to build your classroom.

Hi Jaroslaw,
Right you are. By recognizing the different intelligences you can bring creativity into the classroom and this help you to keep the course content fresh and exciting for the students.
Gary

I feel that teaching to a variety of intelligences should really begin with you, as the instructor, having an extremely strong grasp on the material and subject taught so that you can explain it simply. After doing so, incorporating a variety of techniques will ensure that no one in the class is left behind. We all have different strengths; and as instructors, we must be aware and sensitive to that. By switching up our delivery, we can make a weaker student great and a great student even greater.

Dr. Meers,

By understanding multiple intelligences I realize
I need to consider the manner in which students learn and adapt my course of instruction. For
example, in providing instruction in the performance of a new procedure I would use lecture, visual instruction via CD/DVD, and finally return demonstration.

The program that I teach is skill-based and depends on auditory skills.  I've found that students' retention has improved by adding graphics on the whiteboard along with incorporating mnemonics into the lessons.

I currently do a Lab informing students of Multiple Intelligences so they can plan for learning success better and also know how to strengthen their abilities in different areas. Knowing how a student best takes in and shows knowledge helps me adapt to them.

Hi Angela,
Exactly. By knowing how individuals process information you can develop strategies for giving them the opportunities to acquire the needed new information.
Gary

Hi Krista,
Thank you for sharing this example of how you were able to analyze your delivery and offer additional ways of acquiring the course content based upon the processing abilities of your students.
Gary

I am a court reporting instructor. I have noticed that people learn in different ways. Some students learn visually, some rely heavily on audio dictation, and others have to write it in order to fully understand it. I cater to all three methods of processing information.

In some cases one student may not be more intelligent than the other, they happen to learn in a different way.

I will often do group assignments, that challenges students to process the information in different ways, which levels the playing field. I especially like the group assignments because it allows students to share their study habits, and tips for success.

When creating a lesson plan for the next day, I am challenged to think outside of the box in order to cater to everyone's style of learning.

Sign In to comment