Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Flipping in accelerated schools

How can I flip the classroom in an accelerated learning system?

Flip faster.  That is not intended as a flippant comment.:-)  It simply means to find ways to inject exercises, videos, or discussion questions that take 5-10 minutes to process and produce some kind of learning outcome relevant/prerequisite to that week's topics.  As follow up, use the pre-class activity as the starting point for the live class session.  When student's perceive that this pattern is consistent and persistent, with relevancy to the outcomes, most will respond.

Admittedly, accelerated programs get a bit of bad rap because students can often be accused, legitimately, of just continuing their past pattern of learning and dumping it after the test.  Yet, many students really need the faster pace to stay engaged at all.  Traditional classes go so slowly that they get distracted before they are really invested in, or absorbed by, course content.  Plus, they were trained in high school to be spoon fed curriculum, rather than work at learning.  Flipping helps to reverse that training via their pre-investment in that week's content.

Thanks for the advice.  After completion of our program their is a very long National Board taken for licensure.  Students can't afford to just 'get by' in our classes.  Since there is factual information they need to know I'm not sure they're getting what they need by flipping the classroom even though I think it would be more enjoyable for both student and instsructor. I'd like to find a way to flip the classroom while still giving them the factual information.  National Boards is definitely factual.

Even in an accelerated learning system, we have to slow down to process information into our long term memory. finding activites and games for the students to facilitate helps them play and learn in a way that they can identify with the material. also, wonderful resources as simple as youtube videos on instrumentation and technology, ppt's online on some of our tougher subjects to assimilate, and guest speakers expert in the topic, bring a collaboration that a single instructor can receive knowing we are a support to the learner, and able to tap into more resources than ever for a student responsibile for their own learning.

Reply to Jeanne Ramos, RDH, BS's post: I am glad that someone understands that some accelerated classes, if the instructor is trying to make sure the class is prepared for regulations and testing requirements after graduation, does not leave much room for games. I teach accounting. If there is a game that can make the students better understand it please tell me about it.  I am using Hands on, PowerPoint and lecture. How can I make it fun? In the last class we played Classroom Fued. That activity turn out to be good for testing their rememberance. They had fun playing the game but it put a dent in the accelerated instructional time. If anyone know of other cames please share I need something less time consuming. 

Jeanne,

I understand exactly how you feel and struggle with this myself.  A few things that I have implemented successfully when teaching information needed for certifications have been Kahoot! and Quizlet.  I generally give my instruction/lecture/demonstrate in smaller segments, then put the class in several groups to play a Kahoot! game in a competition format.  It is fun for students as well as a great review of what you have just instructed.  Most importantly, it breaks up the monotony and changes the tone of the class.  I am starting to use Quizlet more as there is a new feature that allows you to upload diagrams for labeling or videos with questions to be answered after the video.  Both of these can be accessed after your class by the students and used as a study tool.

The negative is that it takes your extra time to put this together.  I have resolved myself to the fact that I cannot do this all at one time, so I am building this as I go.  So far, it has proven to be very successful!  Best of luck to you!

Sign In to comment