Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tammie,
I know you are going to like the results you get because mini-lectures lets your students make application of the content that has just been covered. So you can do a mini-lecture, activity, mini-lecture and activity. This will hold the attention of students for the duration of the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to be excited about the material, and get the students to participate with review questions mixed into the materials

Some of the strategies I will do are keeping the students involved with the lectures by asking questions and making it high energy and fun.

Lorin,
Excitement is catching so the more of it you bring to class the more engaged your students are going to be.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Bliss,
You use two key words in your comments - energy and fun. Both can be used to enhance learning and get the students excited about what is being taught.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Strategies for Keeping Students Engaged in Learning
by: Floyd Mitchell Raines

I have found that some strategies for keeping students engaged in learning while in class is to use a variety of platforms for the presentations. I sit with the students at eye level during some of the lecture. I will stand in front of the class and write topics on the board. Whenever possible I will animate the material to make it fun and amusing for the class.
I always try to engage the student in the dialog of the lecture.

Floyd,
Good list. Thanks for sharing it with us. I know it will be of value to other instructors, especially those just starting their teaching careers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

lectures, cds, video, games, and discussion

Rebecca,
How do you use each of these specific methods to engage your students?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also like to bring in case studies so the students get to practice the concepts described in our textbook.

Alecia,
I am a big fan of case studies. I use them all the time in my classes so my students can apply what they are learning. One of the outcomes from using cases studies is that the students can come up with solutions and then the results can be discussed as to what was done in that situation and what the outcome was in real life.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A STRATEGY THAT I USE TO KEEP STUDENTS ENGAGED IS TO FORM MY INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL INTO QUESTIONS. OPPOSITE FROM THE STAND AND DELIVER STYLE OF TEACHING THIS PROVIDES A DIALOG BETWEEN THE STUDENTS AND INSTRUCTOR KEEPING THEM ENGAGED AND THINKING ABOUT THE MATERIAL.

Real world examples help students touch the trade. I think it is vital to share your experiences with them daily.

Joseph,
This method also helps them with their critical thinking development. Much of what we do in the workplace is problem solve so our students need to develop this skill set as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Denise,
Real world examples help make the content come alive. The more examples you can share and stories you can tell the more value you create in the content for the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This question depends on what your definition if "engaged" is.

For me, engaged could mean that the student isn't falling asleep at the desk!!!

My definition of engaged is that the students are actively listening, asking questions and contributing to the discussion.

For me, to keep students engaged, I have to break up the material into smaller chunks, take frequent breaks and ask lots of questions. The more they talk (and the more worried they are that I'll call on them) the more engaged they stay.

Everett,
Like your definition and how you see the impact of your instructional delivery holding and keeping the interest of your students. This is what engaged should be about.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sometimes classes can become repetitious. when i perform a demonstration it peaks their interests and inspires them . They begin to understand things on another level and have their "ah ha" moments.

Genea,
The more senses you can use in instruction the better. Not only do the hear and read the information but they get to see it in action through the demonstration. These repetitions help the students to store the information in their memories for retrieval when needed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A good strategy for keeping students engaged in learning can be games, demonstrations and short lectures.

Sign In to comment