Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

WHEN TEACHING I MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE HUMOR. TEACHING NURSING CAN INVOLVE DIFFICULT SUBJECT MATTERS AND HUMOR HELPS TO ALLEVIATE ANY STRESS THE STUDENTS HAVE ABOUT THE CONTENT.

I have various methods of keeping the students engaged and
active throughout the class. I lecture for no more than 20 minutes at a time then demonstrate cooking techniques as well as show media videos that are relevant to the days subject. The class then has hands on lab/cooking time and I circulate around and offer advice and help with what they are working on.

I also use a lot of real experience the students seem to love it and they ask a lot of questions which also help me explain the course content further.

One of the key things that I have learned to keep students engaged in teaching and learning is to get their attention. However, keeping their attention is quite a challenge to an educator. Highlighting important concepts within the attention time span of learners is helpful.

I like to share experiences that I have had on the topic.

Pam,
Students really like stories and examples from the field as you have noticed. These stories help the students to make application to the content and their skill development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

be interactive, practice with equipement

I try to take brakes in the lectures, and talk things that happen to me in the field, related to the topic at hand. Also ask review questions and sometimes throw out a piece candy to the person who speaks up and answers the questions, this seems to open the eyes.

One good strategy is to forewarn students that participation is required, and frequently all upon them, but I think most important, providing instructional content that students can relate to is most important.

Strategies to keep students engaged comes down to how you are presenting the material. You need to be animated with excitement. Get your students involved (quiz them on what they know about the topic). Give real experiences.

Camille,
Good way to get input from all students and let them see the value of course participation. Once they see they are valued for their input they will increase their participation and the course will hold more value for them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

A strategy that I find helpful in keeping the students engaged throughout the class is implementing different techniques such as role-playing and team games based on the lecture to earn them points toward their grade. This makes it fun as well as keeping students listening and paying attention to be successful in earning a better grade.

Ashlie,
Excitement is catching so your comments are right on about how to get students engaged in the learning process and show yourself as a true learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When I'm lecturing I like to utilize the entire class room by walking around and asking the students questions on what I am lecturing. I also will often ask the students "what does that mean?" So I can get an understanding if they really are obtaining the information that I am presenting them with.

I also follow this routine to help break up the lessons. It does take energy to keep the students engaged but less energy than having to repeat the lesson or particular parts the students did not understand. I will also use formal and informal breaks to allow the "rest and recover" before proceeding.

To keep students engaged in learning I like to provide real world examples. I like to relate the content of the lesson to real life.

Sign In to comment