Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It seems to me that asking the student questions about the material being presented during a lecture keeps them actively listening. Respecting their comments (right or wrong) builds their confidence. Short breaks during the class and using uplifting or humorous videos about the subject keeps them interested and focused.

Keeping things fresh. Moving from one teaching style to another.

I write questions on the board and assign each student to come up and fill in the answer.

Kevin Paul,
Students like variety and change of pace in their instructional delivery and you are doing both with your approach. Good strategy to bring value to your course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

William,
Like this approach because it gets everyone involved in responding to a question and being a part of the discussion.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I usually try to intersperse shocking statements throughout the lecture to regain students' attention

Kristin,
Students like this approach as you know. It catches their attention and gets them to thinking.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This section brought focus and attention to myself on the attention span of the average human. Even though I "knew" this from my own instruction in my master's program, we can become so absorbed in the greater picture of syllabus, curriculum, assessment tools etc that the basic aha facts about our students get lost in the shuffle.

I liked the tip in here about taking a lesson and breaking down the content of the day's lesson into equal sections of 15-18 min instruction allowing for time for review and questions.

In doing this it will help me focus on streamlining material that specifically meets the objectives for the lesson rather than "seeing how much content we can throw at the students"

This idea helps me see the forest through the trees and I think will make me a better educator.
Thank You!

Karen,
You are most welcome. I am excited for you as you refine your instructional style and earn the respect of your students. This is what makes teaching fun!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have my classes set up for one day lecture/demo and the next day is for students to practice what they have learned from my demos, however, even though it is "my" demo day I will ask for volunteers to assist me in my demos....I find the students learning in an environment that is supported by other students is very rewarding and that I receive more questions and feedback from otherwise passive students when I have brought them into the "active" learning environment where they become the teacher as well as the student.

John,
There is an old saying that is phrased "To teach is to learn twice, once as a student and again as a teacher." This saying applies to your use of students in helping with demonstrations and peer sharing. The retention of the content will be increased as a result reinforcing what they have been taught and then sharing it with colleagues.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This is where I think it would be very beneficial for me to implement "Poll Everywhere" into the lecture. I feel that this will give the students the opportunity to quiz themselves and use technology that this generation loves. It will be interactive and they will see instant feedback on how well they are following the lecture.

I try to give life experiences related to the material being covered in lecture.

SANDRA,
What is your process in terms of selecting those life experiences that apply to the specific topic being discussed?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I keep my students engaged several different ways: asking opened questions, game playing is always well enjoyed, share real life applications of how new content will be applicable to their life.

Nancy,
Good strategy to follow as you are keeping them engaged in a variety of ways and interactions. This is how it should be with your content sharing.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I try to present material and then do group activities to review the material that was just presented. I also try to put a couple of videos into the lecture to generate some interest.

I teach from 7:30 pm to 1:00 am and sometimes it is difficult just keeping the students awake. I like to use many visual aids in order to keep the students engaged and interested. I also like to use real life visual aids were we go out and not only see but touch what we are learning.

Ramses,
You do have a challenge with this time frame. I teach from 4 until 10 pm so I get them when they are tired from the day. Either way it takes a lot of planning and effort to make sure you have the needed content and activities to keep them engaged for the duration of the class. Your plan has the needed components. I wish you continued teaching success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In smaller classes, find out what extracurricular activities interest various students. If there's a particular student that seems to be struggling more than others, try to adapt examples to that particular student's experience and hobbies to engage their particular understanding. Using their hobbies as an example will help get them interested, but shouldn't detract too much that the other students will get lost in the process.

Sign In to comment