Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Diana,
This is so important if you are going to keep the attention of students and have them engaged in the learning process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When I teach and I see students attention spans waning. I try and tell an interesting story or think of something comical to bring them back to the discussion. Many students stay engaged because I am constantly walking around the room and asking questions.

Deborah,
Movement and change of pace are two ways to keep students engaged. Your stories from the field and your moving around the class help students to reset their brains and concentration. Keep up this good effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have everyones names on a notecard that is in a bucket. Through the lecture I will randomly draw a students name and ask them a critical thinking question about the content discussed. This gives them a break from listening and gives them a chance to stop and think about the material and discuss. I will also break for group discussions for critical thinking questions as well.

Krista,
This is a great way to keep students engaged for the duration of the class. They never know when their name will be drawn. Since it is random they know it is the luck of the draw that requires them to answer the question posed.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students learn more when they are involved in their education and have opportunities to think about and apply what they are learning in different settings. Students also benefit when they are engaged in the teaching and learning of their peers. I utilize assigned group work, peer review, coordinated study groups, and peer teaching in-and out-of class to enhance student involvement in the learning process. I provide opportunities for students to apply what they are learning to their lives outside the classroom. Opportunities for students to practice what they are learning, develop leadership skills, and work with people from different backgrounds, enriches student learning.

WAEL,
You have a great sequence planned out for your students. It is a building process for them as they acquire the needed skills and knowledge. The end result is a well trained and confident student ready to enter the workplace. Keep up the good work!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

1) Put names in a hat and allow students to pick a name; 2) create mini-lectures; 3) have agenda for class printed and provide to the student; and, 4) tell a story that connect the content.

Danny,
Like your like and your approach. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

as a welding instructor you give a group demo and then after that you have to give some one on one demos

Going trough this ed101 course has been very useful for me . I have learned to change the delivery method to maintain interest, now i have implemented more group activities , audiovisual content and have vary my lectures to be shorter and more interactive.

Juno,
Thank you for these kind words. I am am excited for you as you expand your expertise and a learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One strategy is to have the student's work in groups. It allows student's to work with classmates as well as get different ideas on problem solving through their classmates. I also use group work as a "break" from lecture as some student's excel in learning through group learning.

Incorporating true life experiences in relation to the lecture surely engages the student participation. Involving them to discuss among the class assigned topics combined with little surprises to whoever provides the correct answer to their question/s is also a great way to keep the interest going.

My experience as an instructor is very limited. I've mostly observed a fellow teacher instruct the course I'll be teaching and I've almost completed this course. During the time I was able to observe (which was only 2 weeks) I did get to be the instructor's "back-up" from time-to-time. One of the strategies I have learned to keep students engaged throughout class was to utilize multiple approaches of teaching the course. My class is from 5p-10p so keeping the class up and moving helps. Utilizing guest speakers and DVDs help to break up the monotony of general lectures but even these presentations can't go on for too long. It seems after 30 minutes the students start to fade. I am fortunate that my course requires students to master numerous skills (the course is for future CNAs). This allows for fun demonstrations on how to do the skills and plenty of time for them to practice the skills. They practice in pairs. This incorporates social interaction between the students in a positive way. Both the physical activity and mental stimulation appear to keep the students very engaged. Skills are taught a few at a time. This further helps to prevent boredom from setting in because they aren't doing the same thing over and over again for long periods of time. I also try to be upbeat and enthusiastic about the class and with my mood. One of the students said I was "bubbly ... which was great for a night class". The combination of variety in teaching approaches, getting the class physically moving and my personal attitude seem to effective ways of keeping the students engaged.

Heather,
I teach from 4 until 10 pm so I can relate to the challenge of teaching a course that is longer in duration and is in the evening. I follow a similar strategy in that I offer change of pace and variety frequently. As you have commented they fade rather quickly so we need to offer different delivery formats that will keep their brains on target. The more application and relevance we can offer the better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I really like asking students questions~ just as you do with these discussion treads!
It keeps us/ them engaged and focused on what we are learning

I find that small groups, discussions, case studies, concept maps and simulations are all great ways to keep students engaged.

I've broken up the lectures into 15-minute modules. The first part is lecture-based, the second involves an activity; sometimes the activity takes up two of the module times, and the last 15 minutes are used to summarize and drive home the key learning points.

Dawn,
Like the strategy you are using in offering instruction to your students. This flow keeps your students engaged and the course moving forward.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment