Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making a Positive First Impression

Why is a positive first impression important when starting a new class?

Making a positive first impression on the first day of class sets the precedents for the rest of the semester. The students are sizing the instructor up to determine what personality type they will be with for however long the module or semester last. The bullies are trying to determine if this is an instructor that they will be able to run over and hold the classroom hostage with bad behavior. Also there are students watching the instructor to determine if they will be a good role model or mentor.

Students watch have an instructor dresses, speaks, interaction with themselves and other students. They are trying to determine if they are going to stay in your class and/or be successful.

In closing, you only have the start of the class to make a good impression, as an instructor, you must win by minding your manners and behavior. The first day of class is when your soft skills and intuition are on high alerts. You must be cognitive that students are sizing you up and forming opinions.

Machuria,
Thank you for these good comments about how to make a positive first impression with students. You are right about the need to have your soft skills ready and your intuition on high alert. This is how you will establish yourself as the learning leader as well as get a "read" of the students. From there on it is a building process in the areas of respect and rapport.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

First impressions really are key as an instructor. Here at our course the students are leaders in the field and have a minimum of 15 years of experience (most are more like 20+ years). If you show up and are not at the top of your game in terms of physical appearance, delivery method, experience, knowledge and attitude the class will turn off in a hurry. Their time will be spent looking for faults rather than learning and participating.

Making a positive first impression is important because it helps motivate the students and prepare them for the entire course. The first impression gives the students an idea about the instructor’s personality, teaching style and professionalism. It also helps them to visualize how their learning experience will be like.

The student's first impression of their instructor most definitely sets the tone for the duration of the class. It is important to give a positive tone, as well as be physically and mentally presentable. A professional attitude is a must, seasoned with an approachability. Gaining the student's attention in a positive light will aid in their learning and success in the class.

I agree. It only take 5 minutes for a student to form an opinion (positive or negative) of an instructor. Appearance, body language, your demeanor, mannerisms, and how you are dressed are all key factors of professionalism. Making those first encounters are extremely important, for they set the tone for all the relationships (teaching/learning environment) that follows.

Daniel,
You have a very interesting group of students in your classes. You are so right about the need to be at the top of your game with this group. You have to work at earning their respect from the second you walk into the class. This is some very high stakes teaching.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Elly,
Right you are. The first impression is the foundation upon which the rest of the course will rest.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Becky,
So true and so important to setting the tone for the class and how the class is going to proceed from the first meeting forward.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Dorothea,
Positive builds on positive and negative explodes. It is so much easier to build on the positive rather than digging out of a negative hole for the entire couse.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Like the commercial says you never get a second chance to make a first impression… Being prepared and planning for your course is a no brainer. Everything from what you wear to your attitude can leave a lingering impression on the class.

Charles,
Good point and well said. What do you do on the first day to make a good impression on your students?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To ensure a good first impression is made I'll briefly review the syllabus, make notes when first meeting students to remember names and specific details about their background. I think engaging a student on something about themselves helps them open up.

I it realy that inportant to make the first impression I understand you all way what to do the best Job but don't you form the impression over time short or long on what kind of person you realy are ?

Charles,
I agree with getting the students to talking about themselves and introducing themselves to the others in the class. Exchanges like this gets everyone talking and comfortable with the class structure.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The first impression sets the tone of the whole course. If the first impression is off it takes days to change the way the students perceive you.

Darcey,
So true. It is hard to get out of a negative hole. So by starting on a positive note you build rapport with your students from there.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I want to create a positive learning atmosphere. I want the students to know that they can come to me. I don't want to be condescending or arrogant because they will feel like they can't ask me questions. I have had teachers like that before.

Jaime,
Good goal to have and you can achieve that goal by presenting your human side as an educator. Knowing they can talk with you means you have earned their respect and this is the foundation for the development of rapport.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment