Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

READY, SET,......OH NO!

SOMETIMES ALL THE PLANNING IN THE WORLD WON'T PREPARE YOU FOR SOME OF LIFES CURVE BALLS. HAVING THE ABILITY TO THINK ON ONE'S FEET CAN DETERMINE THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF ANY LESSON PLAN. IN OUR EVER CHANGING AND DYNAMIC WORLD, WE MUST HAVE THE ABILITIES TO ADAPT FOR MOST ANY SITUATION. SUCH AS; CULTURAL DIFFERENCES, PHYSICAL CHALLENGES, AND EVEN RELIGIOUS BELIEFS THAT OUR STUDENTS MAY BRING WITH THEM.

Hi John,
Right on. The eye or center of the classroom is the instructor. That person has to be able to respond to diverse situations and maintain control of the learning environment. You express well the roles of such instructors.
Gary

Without flexibility, the Instructor is doomed to failure.

;-)Hey John. I agree with you totally. What you said is very true. Robert

HEY JOHN,BUT REMEMBER THAT "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE".

RIGHT ON

I agree, each class have different dynamics and possibilities of situations coming up that an instructor have not encountered before.

When situations arise instructors should be prepared for them. Things can change form one minute to the other.

Hi Olga,
Being flexible is essential for instructors. If instructors can't make changes quickly or have a sense of humor they are going to have a tough time in the classroom.
Gary

I AGREE WITH YOU JOHN; AFTERALL, LIFE'S CURVE BALLS ARE REVOLVING. THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF ANY LESSON PLAN DOES HAVE TO DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE DESCRIBED. THE STUDENT'S BACKGROUND AND UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOUR GOAL IS - IS ESSENTIAL.

amen to that.

Hi Lori,
What are some things instructors can do to overcome first day of class jitters?
Gary

I have never had first day jitters as I am a born performer.

Hi Deborah,
Then you have found your calling. Being up front and center enables you to share content as well as motivate your students. Congratulations for this gift.
Gary

You are absolutely right! I see that everyday!

One thing to do to prepare for the unknown is to ask and dicuss instances with your fellow instructors. Remember your not the only one in this. Listening to what has happened to them in the past, and how they dealt with it, will help you when similar instances come up. Don't let it become a complaint session and you'll get honest results.

Thanks.

Hey John,
I agree 100%

I usually try to have a back up plan in place so that in the event an activity or exercise can not be done due to a training aid or other equipment failure we have an alternate. Sometimes these failures can lead to unexpected opportunities and learning experiences. The Instructor must be adaptable and quick on their feet. The Instructor will also set the tone. When adversity occurs just smile and go with plan B.

That's when having a good head on your shoulders makes a different!

I agree. Learning how to deal with unique situations and doing the right thing defines us as instructors in the classroom.

Sign In to comment