Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Charles,
Simply say to yourself each night, I owe it to these students to give them everything I have, and they deserve just as much enthusiasm as Day students. It can be hard you just have to continue to stay energized.
Patricia

If you enjoy what you are doing then the energy will be there. If not then maybe it is time to teach a different course

Before we begin I have the class stand and do a physical warm up- no matter what the topic I am teaching-I find it helps bring the energy back to the group and of course- me!

I think I will have to try that.
I have two classes of A&P each afternoon,one right after lunch and one the last period of the day. In either one, some are drowsy or asleep before you know it. A&P is not the most exciting of topics. If they only could grasp the importance that learning this material and its impact has on the rest of their careers, and believe me I have tried to impress this upon them.

Hi Eloise,
No one likes bordem. This is a good way to get students going again. I typically try to add some humor while lecturing and use plenty of variety for teaching methods.
Patricia

When I conduct a lecture I like to use the WIFM approach. For those who are not familiar with WIFM it stands for "What's In It For Me." I look at my audience and taylor the material to my audience as much as possible. If I can successfully taylor my lesson to the needs of my class the lectures become much less boring to the student.

Hi Josette,
These are times of the day that you really need to add variety to lessons, and you need to be really energetic to get the students into it.
Patricia

I always preferred lecture when I was a student. I was allowed to think on my own time and learned more in the time frame given than with group activities. Whenever we finished group work, I found that I didn't come away with much. This could be because I did most of the work and didn't gather much new information from my peers.

i very much like the "wifm" to start but i think you should add to it "what is in it for the student" especially for the lost student
-- ask pointed question to bring them along fot the ride!
ps i wish i had 7am, our classes are now starting at 6am talk about sleepy head!!!

Hi Larry,
Wow, 6 a.m. is extremely early. The instructor has to be motivated and energized themselves in order to get the students into the daily routine.
Patricia

Plain lectures are tuff and boring on students and instructors, especially at 7:00AM. I find it more difficult to just stand there and talk, as I watch some of the students get the 1000 mile stare, you know they are awake but nobody’s home. Now granted some information that is covered by lecturing is BOOOORING to lecture about so the instructor needs to find a way to keep the students attention, this is where active participation is needed, find interesting facts, historical information, and a funny story. Then maybe a little discussion will help. But the instructor will need to maintain control.

Hi Roger,
Use variety in teaching methods so that students are not bored, try visuals, role playing, hands-on activities, scenarios, simulations, case studies, etc.

Patricia Scales

Hi, Roger. I think your point of including a story or personal reflection is a good way to inject active learning into a lecture. That is not to say everything has to have a comedic twist, but even asking a student to offer a reflection on the topic being discussed.

Hi Richard,
Students love hearing stories as they apply to the lesson. Humor is good, but humor does not have to be a part of the story.

Patricia Scales

Being a student for long before I became an instructor, I knew how I liked energetic teachers more than the ones that were just smart.
Jumping around the room and using voice tones has helped me to keep the ineterests of most students. Still the morning class is always harder to stir than the afternoon class.

Hello Nagib,
I agree. Our classes start at 6:00AM. It is challenging to keep lecture interesting and interactive at that time. I generally have our most energetic and enthusiastic instructors teach at that time. Getting student immediately involved is the key.

What a good idea! I know when I've attended lectures where the presenter seemed to have a lot more energy than me -- it has taken me a while to "catch up" to the presenter’s energy level.

Hi Vickie,
The instructor sets the tone for the energy level. Enthusiasm begins with the instructor.

Patricia Scales

Agreed. 7:00am is early to start a class. Most of the city may still be asleep then. Getting to work early is a plus to providing a good lecture. Get there early to not only wake up but to also prep yourself for your day. Mondays seem to be the toughest. I always arrive at least 45 minutes early to get my coffee, set up the room and mentally prepare. In return my lectures are entergetic and lively.

Hi Matthew,
I too follow the same practices as you do! Early arrival is key in order to get energized for your students.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment