Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Grant,
Have students use YouTube and Kahn Academy for interactive learning. These are great resources to help with the understanding of math.

Patricia Scales

During a long lecture I like to stop about every 20 minutes or so. Have the students discuss with their neighbor what they think was the most important fact they just heard. I give them about 1 minute, then I call on a few students to share what their neighbors thoughts. Then I continue with lecture.
I find this helps with retention. It gives students an opportunity to have a brief, small group disscussion,it breaks up the lecture, and keeps them engaged.

I often give a lecture about intellectual property. I define copyright, trademark, patents, etc. I could ask them to research specific case studies and present them to the class. Students can then discuss and debate the merits of each case.

Hi Kelly,
Case studies are great in preparing students for the real world. Case studies allow students to utilize their critical/analytical skills.

Patricia Scales

Hi D'Ann,
Great way to break the lecture and to test the understanding of students. Students need a break from a long lecture.

Patricia Scales

I am a new instructor, but a seasoned learner. I try to convert lectures to active learning scenarios to avoid boredum for both my students and myself. For example, while covering the many acronyms included in "Emergency Procedures", I play the game show host to 'Disaster Jepordy'. My attendance during review time is always 100%. My students love this form of active learning. Their energy is contagious and keeps me passionate about the subject and how to instruct it.

Students enjoy hearing stories from my professional life that relate to the topic I'm covering, as long as I dewel on it as a learning experience and not focused on me. Sometimes explaining mistakes I've made helps make a point, too.

Hi Angella,
Great! Your students are having fun while learning; this is the perfect remedy to encourage students to come back every day. Students retain more if they are having fun while learning.

Patricia Scales

Hi Renee,
Great point! Stories should be applicable to the course content and not all about the instructor.

Patricia Scales

One way that is effective for me when I lecture is to constantly ask questions which aids in discussion. When the students are speaking as opposed to me that is good. If a student is speaking that means they are actively engaged in the process whether or not the have the right answer. I believe a lot of retention occurs when students discuss topics while giving examples of how that information applies to the lives.

I agree. It seems that when students apply the information to their lives they are a lot more excited about it.

We go over the recipes to be produced the next day. They have to take notes emphasizing the changes to the book's recipe. Then they bring those notes and do their production. Sometimes I ask a student to read his notes.
I think I will now try to have the students get together and go over their notes and fill in the gaps from other students input and mine.Then I will have one of the students the notes out loud to make sure they are correct in their sequence and procedure.

Hi John,
We want to generate as much excitement in our students as possible. Students thrive off of excitement, and we should make learning interesting and fun for our students.

Patricia Scales

Hi Ticha,
Students enjoy it and really retain more when active learning is taking place. Our students would rather be doing instead of just listening to us lecture all the time.

Patricia Scales

We teach a multi-faceted course that has a broad background of students, many of whom have a selected amount of experience in one or more of the areas the course covers.

During day one, course intro, we have each student introduce themselves and give their background emphasizing how it relates to the course and then we use these students to explain from their vantage point the pros and cons.

We then "fill in any gaps" that are left. The rest of the students always benefit from a first hand experience from a fellow student.

I like to introduce a topic, say Inflation. I'll go over the text scenario, expound a bit on the implications I've identified, negative in context. Then I pass out an article that takes the exact opposite point of view, 'In Praise of Inflation.' I give them time to read it and then discuss with their neighbor. I ask them to identify the probable circumstances of the individuals tending to prefer each side of the argument. A discussion then erupts. It allows students to develop appreciation for the complex issues deriving from a simple vocabulary word.

Hi William,
Love it! Awesome way to get discussion going. It generates a lot of energy because everyone wants to defend their position.

Patricia Scales

I teach a lecture on taking care of the ventilator patient in an ICU setting. I have recently adapted a new approach and came up with 5 different "real-life" scenarios. I have a packet of additional patient information with each scenario and give them to small student groups. The goal of the group is to use the information they have been given and information they have learned thus far in the course to save their patient. It has become my favorite lecture to teach. I allow the students to use their books, lecture material, approved medical websites, and journal articles to determine the best pathway of care.

Hi Dawn,
I love it! This is learning at its best to prepare the students for the real world. Scenario learning is so effective; it gives students a taste as to how things are going to be in the real world.

Patricia Scales

One of the classes I instruct involves case based studies. Recently, my professional organization has released an online guide that will assist with evidence based research for each case study. My plan is to incorporate this online guide as well as other internet resources to transition to active learning.

Sign In to comment