Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Everyone loves to play. I say the instructor should invite the students to do just that. In a lecture forward class, I will bring along several decks of miniature playing cards and a small prize, such as a pack of gum or a bag of candy.

If the student arrives on time, they get a card. If they return from break on time, they get a card. If they present a great question during discussion or give a correct response, they get a card. Over the course of the class, each student builds thier best 5 card poker hand and the winner takes the prize. It may only be a bag of candy, but it motivates the students to become involved and focused, even through the dry parts.

Hi Howard,
Most students really do become engrossed when you are talking about something that directly pertains to them.

Patricia Scales

Before instructing the proper way to give injections or draw blood, I review Universal Precautions. Yet, I see students not applying what they have learned before giving injections or drawing blood. I have to remind them how to protect themselves instead of using more time in instructing the task at hand. The Suggestions for Implementation section of this course gave me a great idea! I'm going to have them role-play using Universal Precautions. I 'll have 2 groups of 2 students demonstrating the improper ways of Universal Precautions and have the rest of the class critique what they are doing wrong. This may leave a much better impression then just lecturing . I might even add the proper way and have them critique this as well.

Hi Ernest,
Love it! This really gives the students something to strive toward. Learning is at an entire different level when fun is involved.

Patricia Scales

Hi Donna,
Awesome! Role playing allows student to see a clearer picture as to what is expected of them.

Patricia Scales

I have found this to be the best way to keep them involved is to related the subject as close as I can to their everyday lives.

Hi Jasen,
Students see the relevance of the course when we relate the learning to them personally and/or professionally.

Patricia Scales

I am currently teaching a Bioethcis class, and it became clear very quickly that pure lecture just wouldn't be effective. I lecture briefly, and then start asking questions of the class. When I get an answer from one student, I'll ask another student to expand on that answer. Then I'll ask a third student a question based upon what the prior two students said. It is a small class, so I can use this method and get all the students involved in each topic. It makes class discussion very lively.

During such lectures I will pose questions and ask the students to cite examples to engage them in discussion. I will also ask how this topic can be related to real life situations. I try to focus on the group a little more than the calling out of an individual to encourage discussion but I also try to get all the students to be engaged. I think the students like to share their experiences and it helps to promote better understanding of the concept at hand. I maintain focus on keeping the class on task (our objectives). I will also pause and review.

I am a relatively new instructor and just now being introduced to the "active learning" methods. I find myself using the guided notes technique and "pair and share" too frequently. The students do seem to be scoring better on their assessments, but I need to work on the variety. I hope to try some case studies soon, but coming up with a plan seems to be time consuming for me. Any suggestions for Veterinary Technology Body Systems class for endocrinology or reproduction?

I teach mechanics and after all lectures we then have students write down questions on paper, break into teams and ask the questions to each team and then the team that answers the most questions wins.

Hi Randy,
Great way to make learning fun and to test one's knowledge. I am sure at some part you let your students experiment with parts to gain hands-on experience.

Patricia Scales

Hi Vicki,
Love how you generate discussion from your students so that concepts are better understood.

Patricia Scales

Hi Gregg,
Great way to keep students engaged and involved. Pure lecture is torture. A variety is always good.

Patricia Scales

Hi Mary,
Role playing, field trips, and simulations are great!

Patricia Scales

During the lecture I stop and ask questions that will help them connect to the topic. This process leads to an open discussion which helps keep them engaged and energized.

First and foremost, I would like to say "HELLO FELLOW AGGIE!" Greetings from Rocky Mount, NC.
As a Dental Assisting Instructor at MMC in Greenville, NC, I currently teach the course: DA 105-Dental Materials. When I introduce a topic pertaining to a new dental material, I often use visual aids (models, alginate, instruments, Medicaments, etc) that a student can see, touch, and even smell. We are a very hands-on course. After lecture and answering any questions(before, during, and after), we have exercises in Lab that incorporates the objectives of the lecture material presented. We will first have Tell-Show-Do Demonstrations. Then the students will work individually or pair in a group of two depending on the hands-on dental lab exercise (perform such as taking impressions, disinfecting the impressions, and pouring up the study models). I will often walk around in the lab, monitoring, answering any questions, and providing feedback. Not only are the objectives achieved for that assignment, but the students are engaged and having fun while learning essential skills that are necessary when they matriculate to their practicum sites, then graduating, and embarking on their future career as a Dental Assistant.

My Constitutional Law class is currently dealing with the 4th Amendment protection from unlawful search and seizure. I am trying to show how difficult it is to obtain a search warrant, and why. With this lesson in mind, I believe I will have the students actually fill out a search warrant form as if they are the requesting officer, and then I will act as the Judge in determining if the students have met the threshold of probable cause and description of property to be searched. This will be a great hands-on active learning experience.

I typically discuss motivation. In class I could break the students into small groups and ask them to discuss the specifics that motivate them to come to class each day. As they make a list, hopefully it will spark conversation and more ideas will flow. I will then ask the small groups to present the lists to the entire class.

This is similar to what I try to do. Additionally, I will have them go to the library to find an example of a current event related to the concepts we are studying. They then present the current event to the class and we all discuss how the concepts are applied in "real life."

Sign In to comment