Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career Services Partnership and Best Practice Approaches | Origin: CS109

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Empowering Students with an Arrest or Conviction --> Career Services Partnership and Best Practice Approaches

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Gaining professional networks through informational interviewing give myself, and the students a powerful advantage.

Explaining an arrest or conviction is most effective if you initiate the conversation.

Be sure to get to know the state laws that affect the employment of people who have criminal records.

Encouraging honesty in students, guiding them in how to respond to interview questions, and appropriate ways to build their resume. 

One thing that struck me a bit was on the last section of the module. There was sentiment about how motivation to work can be an essential in fostering job readiness with those with an arrest or conviction. While I do believe that motivation is necessary, I think that as a job readiness "ingredient," it is shortsided. I take some issue with proceeding thoughts including who decides what motivation looks like? 

Eye opening.

Regarding networking and establishing relationships with potential employers, as a first step I'd suggest that you contact your state's Department of Correction and ask to meet with the Re-entry Manager/Coordinator.  (This title varies by state).  State DOCs have already identified potential employers and should be happy to assist you in preparing your students for re-entry into the workforce.  --Mary Ellen, South Idaho Correctional Center

Getting students focused on perceptions and making sure to present themselves in a manner that does not cause potential employers anxiety just because of a prior criminal record.

I like the idea that motivation is the key to work.  Also, I think more should be stated about students creating their own opportunities/ jobs to avoid being dependent on 'the man'.

Continue to motivate and encourage the persons to be honest and show their true worth to that employer.

Principal theory is that employers may view these students as dishonest, work with students on this narrative. Need to be honest up front on the application. Understand and empower them to move beyond the stigma. 

When discussing about convictions it is very important to own it, honest is very essential. 

When affected by a conviction or arrest record having a explanation letter can shed light on the person and their progress since.

This can help them to connect with employers on a person to person level and it expresses a current level of integrity that employers and people in general find positive.

This is my first introduction into this topic and I have enjoyed reading every section and found all information to be very helpful.  

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities