Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Incorporating Copyrighted Educational Materials | Origin: EL114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Respecting Copyrights and Leveraging Available Resources --> Incorporating Copyrighted Educational Materials

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I must admit that this has made me hesitant in using any materials.  I can see why some educators choose to use materials from the texts that were specifcally procured for the class.  I had always thought graphs, pictures, and even cute cartoons added spice to on line lectures, but now I ask....at what cost?  I'm too risk averse to continue using these items, but I'm glad that I'm aware of the risk now.

This training is so good! I have been worked for for-profit schools most of my career. I know I certainly made some mistakes back in the beginning. I am in a position now to draft our copyright policy and train our facult (F2F and online) and course developers on how to appropriately use materials, how to seek permissions to use copyrighted and licensed materials, etc. 

One area I don't feel there is enough clarity, is on the different types of creative commons licenses. The "non-commercial" is tricky. I don't think for-profit educational institutions should fall under commercial, so I am wondering if you have some guidance?

With copy rights becoming such a problem, I thing institutions should develop the bulk of the course material but leave room for instructors to add copy right approved or public domain information. 

The  challenges of obtaining copy rights should be disseminayed to new employees.

In this module, I have learned the importance of copyright law and that instructors become as knowledgeable and proactive as possible. I will request a generic permission request form in my courses available to use anytime permission is needed.

In addition to my college classes, I also teach on the high school level. No wonder the district tells us to not use anything that is not district purchased, in the public domain, or available via a creative commons license.

In this module I could reviewed the impact of copyright material for education uses, what laws correspond to diffrerent entities, and ways to avoid or minimize this law infringment. 

Reply to Janet Smith Stasiak's post:I definitely agree with this. I feel like I have used things for the pizzazz factor and now I am thinking I have commited a copywrite infringement.

Knowing copyright laws is important. Often the library is a good place to start for guidance and the libraries of many major universities are also good resources.

Changing copywritten material each semester is a great way to stay away from infringement. The librarian could be extremely useful to faculty in this regard.

The library is a great place to start for guidance about copyright resources.

Be aware of the resources and advice available to understand and navigate the copyright laws. They aren't too difficult as long as you put the effort forth to understand them.

Institutions should develop a protocol for instructors to follow regarding the use of all types of information!!

The fact that you can not utilize the same videos each term for the same course such as imbedding video links into PowerPoints and reusing them each term or semester without getting permission from the copyright holder. 

I learned about this important resource since I work for a for profit institution: "Request assistance from an independent, third party copyright permissions provider such as the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) to verify the need for copyright permissions and to simplify the ongoing permissions process. They have a specific pay-per-use licensing service for the instructor to utilize (http://www.copyright.com/);"

Instructors need to know the status of their institution(s), whether a non-profit or a for-profit teaching organization. The laws are different but the importance of complying with copyright laws is the same. Following the best practices in this course (and from their institution's copyright policy guidance) will help an instructor navigate the challenges of complying with the law.

Sign In to comment