Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

computerized classroom testing

We discussed going to computerized testing in the past instead of pencil and paper test that we use now. What issues have you experienced with computerized testing, and what did you do to fix the issues?

ipads

My school has incorporated Ipads also instead of books.  They are very handy instead of carrying 20 pounds of books. Sometimes with the big books they are hard to read becasue it takes 4 swipes to ready one page.  I also use them for powerpoint presentations and test taking in class.  They also use the ipads for researching reports.  The draw back of them again is it is not a word proceesor, it does have the capablity but it is not the same.  I would like the students to get lap tops instead.

Best Practices with iPads

Can we share Best practices with the iPads? My school has iPads for our students and there are many great ways to have the student quiz themselves but what are some other wasys to incorporate the iPads into their learning?

Phone Apps

I teach audio production and use an interactive flash card phone app for getting my students to memorize various microphones by make, model, feature set and their applications... it's a great tool and the students love it.

new ipad users

My school has recently adopted iPads instead of hard copy textbooks.  I am very interested in teaching my students how to use the device as an educational tool instead of a social media tool.  BUt, where can i get more in depth training with my specific device???  I want to make sure that i know the iPad in and out before I try sharing it with students.  I have already learned a few tricks that I share with anyone who will listen.  but I almost want to add this as a supplemental or optional orientation course!  ANyone have any suggestions?… >>>

second life

I took a course that utilized second life and hated it.  One night while working on my assignment, my 25 year old daughter came in and asked what I was doing. She sat down beside me and loved it. She was so excited about playing with it. She said this is awesome. The whole time, I was thinking "this is stupid". I have talked to several people who have either utilized second life in the classroom, or been a student in a class that used it.  It is definately a generational thing.  Depending on the age of the person I… >>>

I-pads

Will the future of classrooms continue with i-Pads? or do you  feel it will be a mix of both pads and books? 

Audio Engineering Teacher

When teaching audio engineering do think it help to have dynamic presentations in the classroom?

video documentary within lesson

I wanted to gather a few opinions. Do you think showing a video documentary to a class (Anthropology students) would promote a more engaging and interactive envrionment? I would make the assumption that the video would be viewed and followed up with a group discussion, with all students (mostly young adults) having an input and responding to each other and the facilitator. The students are currently not keeping on task and focus, so we need an approach that, combined with other strategies, will address this.

Thanks for any opinons, thoughts and feedback!

Facebook for teaching Biology

I am getting a great idea to create a Facebook page for my students, in which they can post all king of living organisms interacting in real life with them.  they can get so many examples and it will promote a cleaner and more enjoyable environment for them

Teaching Biology with the use of new technology

I want to teach Mendel s Law using new technology. My experience has been a Professor in front of a classroom, and now I want to change for the new technology method. If I suggest my students to bring examples from real life in which I can see the inherited traits from parents to children, am I approching the subject right?

Profology

http://www.profology.com/welcomepage

Great website for higher education professionals to share ideas. You can connect by areas that you teach, research interests, locations, etc.

I listened to a presentation by them last August 2015 and joined the same day. Plus, IT'S FREE!

Cindy

none

NONE

Whats In It For Me

I find that explaining to the students WIIFM about learning the technology they need can lead to them to expend more energy on the learning. I feel I may want to take more classes on graphics to develop interesting digital images. Does anyone have suggestions for graphics?

NEW TECHNOLOGY

How are most educators incorporating videos into their power point presentations?

PDP help from this class

I am finding a lot if inspiration from this class for my PDP that I am workng on. I am pretty familiar with social media but this class is opening up many new ideas and ways for me to incorporate S.M. into class

Powerpoint printouts

One way I've found to keep students engaged is to use a powerpoint presentation to summarize the topic I'm discussing, and giving a printout of the slides with room for notes, so they can keep track of what's happening, write their own summaries, and use the printout and notes to study from for tests.

Technology in Today's Classroom

Today's online student is far different than the one 5 years ago. The student expects that everything in the classroom is accessible just as their apps, email and news are accessible on their phone. Does this take away from the student experience, the learning experience if students do everything on their phone?

It seems that the student of today expects to go through an application whereby they experience learning through activities and not necessarily by their own experimentation with writing and exploring resources.

Sharing authority

Did anyone else find that an interesting use of phrasing for a way to achieve collaborative learning? I suppose it makes sense, it just seems like a potentially bad idea.

Emily

adaptive teaching

I am one of those who does not spend all of his remaining day socially interacting parsay.  so I have to force myself to actively presue new tecnoligy and its funtions and uses as well as benifits to the teaching process,,, thank God I have 3 children and one of them an educator