Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

video documentary within lesson

I wanted to gather a few opinions. Do you think showing a video documentary to a class (Anthropology students) would promote a more engaging and interactive envrionment? I would make the assumption that the video would be viewed and followed up with a group discussion, with all students (mostly young adults) having an input and responding to each other and the facilitator. The students are currently not keeping on task and focus, so we need an approach that, combined with other strategies, will address this.

Thanks for any opinons, thoughts and feedback!

I can't imagine wh ythat wouldn't work.  I have heard another instructor from a different institution state that he felt that he would get better results if he just recorded himself teaching and played it on a monitor instead of giving it to them live because they seemed to be drawn in more if it seems like they are watching TV.  Seems like a great idea to peak interest and have them stay focused.

Break the video into smaller segements, pause after each segment and have a round robin on how each student interprets the segment. With todays youths you may find 10 different spin offs for each point you give. IE: was Benadict Arnold a good guy or bad. You may find 5 different opinions all within the same group of students.

Sign In to comment