Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Are We In More Than One Business?

Some career educators state that in addition to being in the education business, we are also in the "mental health" business. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I would absolutly agree that we are also in the "mental health" business. We are delivering information to increase the knowledge and skills of people. This clearly develops the intellect and strengthens the mind. Reading, studying, listening to lectures, performing lab tasks, completing assignments, taking tests and quizes, and engaging in group discussions all work to exercise the mind.

I would not necessarily say that educators are in the mental health business, but I do believe that instructors should use EI knowledge as a contributing factor in academics. The emotional state of a learner can be greatly affected by the instructor- for better or worse. Additionally (and the last time I checked), I do not know of any living human being without some type of daily-stress traits. To me, educators are more like parents than mental health professionals. An effective parent listens, protects, and serves the off-spring.

Thanks, Patricia.

The emotional state of a learner is something that always impacts how they will interact and how effectively they will learn.

The parent analogy is an interesting one.

I agree that we are in more than one business. My classes are made up of a diverisity of cultures and age groups. Constantley having to change teaching styles to accomodate all of my students and to watch their reactions to lectures and lab assignments.It very important to be able to put students in groups that can get along and work well together and to moniter their progress,attitude and happiness with the education that they are recieving.You must be able to change and adapt to maintain a good repore with your students and continue to show your concern for the student and there education.

Jeffrey,

I agree that we are in the mental health business. I actually laughed when I read the term Edu-Psycho-Preneur. In adult education, the students come from multifaceted backgrounds and often need our help to clearly see their own vision along the way. This includes listening, the psycho aspect, to help understand how to guide them to reach their goals. For example, I have a student who shared with me that she is bad in writing and that her mother and grandmother were also bad in writing. If I did not listen to understand here background, I would have not been able to direct her in the right place for help. This student sent me a note last week and she is not doing quite well with her new writing skills.

Randi

Thank you, Randi.

It is not uncommonn for students to come to us with certain "I cannot do this" attitudes about something that has not gone welll for them in school in the past. From time to time, I have also had students talk about how the "inability" runs in their family.

These can be tough expectations to overcome. The most common one I heard when I was a Dean was that "I cannot do math." I usually told the students who shared this that we had great math teachers who will find what works for them. Fortunately, I had faculty members who did so.

I would definately agree with that statement. I work in student advising and honestly some days feel more like a life coach or counselor than an advisor. Students come to us all the time when "life happens." We need to coach them through it and show that we care. They need to know that there is someone out there that cares if they succeed or not.

Yes, people persue education for life improvment. financial, health both mental and physical, and hopefully to develope a career aligned with thier personality.

I agree to the degree that it is important for educators to be aware of the mental and emotional state of their students. If we as educators do not take an active interest in the state of our students then we are not providing the best possible learning environment that we can. In many cases we do not have the background or education required to assess the mental and emotional health of a student; however, we do have the ability to determine when something is out of the ordinary. We can then suggest and direct the student to an appropriate staff member who is qualified to assist them.

To an extent, yes. As educators we should provide a level of mental health support, such as motivating factors, learning to read our students to know when they are struggling and provide assistance if it is academic related and provide or direct a student to a resource if it is based on another issue.

I totally agree with this statement.

Working in a career school many of our students are non-traditional students. Some are here for retraining due to job elimination, others have been laid off and are unemployed and need to ramp up their skills. Others have found themselves at a stage in life that they want to do something new and need the training that is offered here. No matter what the reason for wanting an education, everyone has their own baggage and possible barriers that they bring with them.

A students mental health is key to a successful student. While everyone enters our institution with habits, attitudes, beliefs and expectations already in place it is my daily goal to help them rework those things that need to be reworked and to help adjust what needs to be adjusted.

Some students are angry that they lost their jobs, others are dealing with sick children, bad marriages, transportation issues, financial issues, other personal issues. These all affect how they will do in classes during these struggles. My position is to be a good listener, help them find some solutions, and above all else continue to show them that education is the way to a new life. One that they may not struggle as much as they once did.

So we in the education business are certainly in the mental health business as well.

Being an instructor is more than being a trainer in the industry you have chosen to be. The ethical responsabilities to educate connect with moral values. You are a leader, a manager and professional in your field. You are a role model and a confident. You are a coach who fosters champions by engaging your students, motivating them, facilitating active learning, inspiring academic and social growth, honoring fair evaluation, managing stress, workshipping standards and conduct, honoring integrety and showing respect. Instructor's attitude and doings affect directly or indirectly the school students' population and reputation.

Yes, in the sense that each of us provides a certain type of service to a student. That may be as instructor, student services representative,, financial aid counselor, etc.. However, we all are in the one business of serving our students. We do this in different ways but always with the goal of identifying students' needs, offering support, etc..
All of us should strive at all times in all ways to serve as positive models, to motivate and to mentor our students.
Student success is our common goal so in that sense, we are in one business, the business of building successful students.

I agree with the previous comment, and also understand that students' success is not predicated by me. I am part of a team that is employed to keep students in school, and to help them recognize their potential in school or in any other life situation. Then the company can accomplish it's goals also. Students keep me employed, and once people realize that, we will begin to be more successful than ever before.

Thanks for this post, Barbara.

We do indeed have our positions because students need us. The better we take care of them, including setting and holding them to appropriate academic and behavioral standards, the better off we will be as a sector.

I disagree I feel mental health is a important factor in someones life and should be left up to qualified people in the field not a tech school
instructor .

Business and schools are booth part of modern education. Students are in several multitasking situations. How do we help them get through it?
Mark

I agree. They are working, sometimes more than one job and taking care of their families. They are exausted but driven.
Mark

Agree- students need some one to listen to them. Sometimes the faculty can also be a mentor or a shoulder to cry on.

Sign In to comment