Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using real world in lectures

I always when doing lecture try to use real world experinces, asking my students if it has ever happened to them, then explaining exactly where im going with it. It really seems to help them understand what im tring to say and they grasp the concept ten times better.

Jason,

Excellent. They want to hear real world examples. This is a key to retention.

Dr. Larry Banks

My teaching to date indicates that having and relating real world employment experiences is an excellent way to reach students in a real world way. Taking concepts that can be difficult, obscure and seemingly uninspiring and relating them in actual circumstances is one of the primary methods I use to clarify and normalize
concepts to students inexperienced in general and/or specific workplace environments.

David,

Love it. This is a tatic that improves retention. Way to go.

Dr. Larry Banks

Real world examples are excellent along with guest speakers in the related field.

I agree, I find that when I lecture during my kinesiology classes for more than 10 to 15 minutes I lose student interest in the subject but then I move the students to the massage tables to apply the information from the lecture in hands on skills and their attention is brought back immediately. It has helped to build their attention span for the lectures in later classes as the students see value in what they are learning being brought into their career choice.

I love this technique! I too use real world experiences and scenarios to create a mental image of the topic or skill and how it can be used in a real world application. I love all these ideas!

Daniel,

Yes, real world experiences make it more real for students.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I use real life examples every day in my classes! I like to show the students that things they may think they do not need to know will actually happen. They enjoy the funny medical stories I have as well...that always helps when teaching on a not so exciting topic! Keeps their attention!

Elinore,

Real world stories support what the students learn so well.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Jason, I do this too. I find that when teaching in an Adult environment, one characteristic you can use in retention is to do this - preparing students for real life experiences as well as real life situations benefits them all immensely.

I believe that this is a great asset to teaching. My students always love to her real world experiences during lecture.

Nicole,

Connecting the course content to the real world is an asset for sure.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment