Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation is the first impression...

Orientation is the first impression on how the students are treated and what the college requires from the student.

Brooke,

Hopefully, the orientation program is interactive and engaging.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Yes I agree with you here. Sometimes when I walk into our Campus and I see prospective students sitting in the waiting room, I cant help thinking and wondering if they are wondering if the attainment of their Degree involves much waiting....much like a Doctors office.

This is an area I feel our program has room for great improvement. After reading the mentoring component of this course, this is something I think has immense value to our program!

Orientation should be informative, welcoming and confortable, fun ice breakers to make students feel as if they belong. It should answer all their questions.

Lisa,

I hope you are able to implement a Mentoring program at your school. Good luck. The best advice is to clearly define the mentor role at your campus.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Joan,

At least the questions to get them started. Expecting students to recall all the information presented throughout their education based on a short presentation is probably not the best expectation. I've always stressed to learn the people, what they do, and where to find them.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree. New students have a general orientation to the college and a second orientation to the specific program that they enrolled in. As well, during their program the student is give orientation to clinical sites here on campus and at the specific clinical site that they attend.

It definitely is a nice way to get to the know the students and allow them a chance to get to know eachother as well, and to give them an expectation of how it will be once we get started. Sort of, lay down the ground work for what is coming while already building relationships and a good support system.

This is very true. While students usually have an orientation to the school itself, I have found that it helps to have an informal "meet and greet" process before the class begins. This gives the student a chance to meet instructors and classmates before their first day and have a better understanding of whta is expected for success.

Having students meet and greet new faculty and students is a great way for prospective/newly admitted students have a feel for the "people" in the school or program. This platform may break the ice for students who do not have a lot of self-confidence and are given the opportunity to say hello or have a cookie with another student, faculty, or college employee.

amy,

Making connections early is probably more important then the information shared at orientation.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Bette,

More and more in this forum we are seeing examples of schools using a "meet and greet" or some sort of networking event to connect to the school.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Orienation is the best way for the students to meet faculty and get better knowlege of the school and program as well

Parthenia,

Yes, it is if it is designed for that purpose.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Agreed, learning starts with a feeling of belonging.

I agree that the first impression is a lasting impression so it is important to give it all you got. Let the student know that you care about them and you are there to help them achieve their goals.

Yes, orientation is first the impression of the school it lets the students know what is and will be required from them.

Sign In to comment