Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

One of the best ways to ensure good retention is to ensure you have a good candidate for the program. We have to help a student look for the right program in which they are best suited.

The first day of an istructor's presentation strongly affects retention. When an instructor makes the students understands the importance of the material he is about to present and how it can be utilized in his/her future , both in future classes and the job market , the student will best be motivated to continued in his/her class and the courses.

Yes, it does. I love how you are connecting to the job market. This is a key to improving retention.

Dr. B

On of the tools I use is the template from another course which has the student on day one list the steps needed in odrer to achieve their goals. Often all a student needs is to be reminded why they started the process in order for their goals to become clear again.

I believe having the Program Deans available during the admissions interview is also key. This will allow the student to ask any detailed questions about the program to the Dean directly. The Program Dean may also be able to get a feel for if this program is the right program for this student.

You know, having academics involved early in the process does help to close loops. This way, admissions and academics all tell the same story.

Dr. B

Getting the correct students in the courses would help with retention.i feel like some of the student we get cant learn the task or dont want to learn it. keeping there attention becomes very hard.

Clive,

There is no doubt that the first impression from an instructor is very important. When students have a thorough understanding of what to expect there are no surprises. Therefore, they are more likely to stay in class and stay engaged.

This is true. Although the entrance size may be smaller, the students are more likely to stay with the program. I see a number of times those who have the passion for the program are the ones who stick it out and are the ones who go on to success.

Works both ways. If faculty demonstrate passion and empathy, students tend to stick.

Dr. B

At the school I work for we always encourage the admissions staff to bring prospective students to one of the instructors for an information session on the field they are interested in. Usually the student already knows what to expect but we just want to make sure they are prepared for the college experience.

Sign In to comment