Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Monitoring - Too Much

Monitoring is a crucial part of retention and needs to be a constant activity. My questions is, could there be too much monitoring. For example, let’s say an instructor makes a call to an absent student. That same day the program chair calls, then the Dean. At some point the student may receive three or four calls, emails, etc., is that too much?

John,

I believe it is too much. The best systems are coordinated and have a clear division of labor so that students do not feel "nagged."

Jeffrey Schillinger

You don't want to nag.... Some students in school feel like they are grown....so they want to be treated as such.

Shannon,

Even simple reminders meant to be friendly can seem like nagging when done without a helping attitude.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think how the call is perceived is attributed to the language you use and culture you've created in the class. For example, rather than asking on the call "You were absent today, where were you?" a more positive, caring tone and approach works best to change the perception of "nagging". Stating on the call, "We missed you today, is everything okay?" is a more caring approach that will diffuse the intrusiveness of the call.

I just had a conversation today to a student who was absent two days this week. I told her I missed her (which I did), and she is a good student. I asked her was everything ok, I missed her.

She said, "you really do care," it made her feel good that I was concerned. When I told her I called and did not get an answer she was happy to give me her new number.

I feel three or four calls is over the top, however one call could make all the difference. Currently we don't have this in place but I will definitely start making a call when a student is absent. I work at a very small school so it will be easy to monitor. I've had parents call and ask about their child's attendance and are surprised to find out the child has missed classes. I think I've had the attitude this is adult education, they are paying for it, they should take it seriously and attend classes. This has certainly opened my eyes.

Marcia,

Too many calls to a student from multiple staff about the same thing tends to make the school look unorganized. I tend to think too much attention is better than no attention.

Jeffrey Schillinger

yes it is too much, only the instructor should be contacting students concerning their absence as he will know what they will miss in class so he can pass that info on to the student so they won't fall behind

James,

I have found that too many clls to students can frustrate them and make them think the college does not know what each other is doing. A defined "who does what when" plan can help.

Jeffrey Schillinger

At my school our student services department calls if a student is absent. I am just responsible for letting them know the student is not in my class. But they will call the student during the class and sometimes prod the student into coming in late (which of course is better than not showing up at all), and so I think there is an advantage to our system.

There must be an "organized" team effort. The right hand should always know what the left hand is doing.

Shimeka,

Please elaborate. What specific things are your referencing by "organized effort?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

I absolutely believe that if we do not document our follow up calls, than other departments may become involved. If these calls are not documented the student begins to feel certain type of harrassment. I have had students who have complained of this particular issue. It should start with the instructor. If I do not have time to make that important call, then I should ask another staff member to make that call.

Teri,

Great points. A coordinated effort, knowing who on staff is to do what when, actually makes dfor less work and is far more effective without the risk of being perceived as "harrassing" or as an "uncoordinated" institution. The documentation you reference is vital.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Yes, I believe that is too much. There is a fine line between showing the student you care, and "pestering" the student. We need to find that balance in monitoring so as to not "annoy" the student.

Adonis,

Findingthis balance his is a pretty common issue in career schools. Coordination and an agreed-upon contact plan really help.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment