Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advisors

How are other campuses using Advisors? What kinds of activities to Advisors do to mentor and monitor their students?

Farley,

There are a variet of ways campuses use advisors. Some campuses assign students to selected staff and faculty members who provide term-by-term support. Others advise on an ad hoc basis, seeking out students when they see a need. Others employ professional counselors.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Goodmorning, I have taught for 5 years. I was assigned to be the Academic Advisor a month ago. I do enjoy talking to students and to follow up even with a phone call. I see students that are debating to W from a course or not. I listen to them, I ask them what are their short term goals and long term goals. I follow up prior to drop date. Many students with a smile say they are continuing with the class. A few will W from the class or classes. I hope this course will enlighten me to better serve my students. Yes, Campuses use advisors in different ways,but we all work as hard to retain and graduate our students.

Veronica,

Do you still teach classes at your school?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Dear Jeffrey, This semester I am not a lead instructor. Iam helping with check-offs and Simulation Lab as well. Jeffrey, I have a question. Did I reply? I looked to see if any of my comments were in any of the forums and I did not see my comments posted. I am enjoying your class. Thank You, Veronica

Hello,

Our Chefs, go out to our classes and speak with specific students. We also have an event of campus to prepare students for their externship etc.

Students advised also have to sign forms to show that they are being counseled. Our Chefs also follow up on them and track their process through the session.

I go and speak with specific students.
Students have to sign forms to show that they are being counseled.I go and follow up on them and track their process through the session.

At the private college that I am a Program Director at, we have specific requirements prior to our students going out to externships and subsequently, graduation. For instance, immunization records, a background check, and graduation completion forms are explained before the last semester of their schooling. We have advisors come in and explain the process so that the students are able to meet the requirments in a timely fashion.

The academic advisors mentor the students by explaining what job opportunities await them after graduation. Our clinical coordinator describes the various externship opportunities so the students can make an informed decision about where they would like to do their clinical experience.

Once out on the clinical externships, the clinical coordinator monitors the timesheets that are to be filled out. We urge the students to be accountable for their hours so they will know how many more hours they need to complete prior to graduation. If we find that students are not turning in their timesheets, we contact the student immediately.

Christopher,

This sounds like a well-designed program. Are there things you do before that final few terms to prepare the students for these specific activities and requirements?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment