Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Your Mentor

Most of us have had mentors that significantly influenced our thoughts, actions and directions. Can you explain how one or two mentors have truly impacted your life? What effect has that had on your role as a career educator?

Bonnie,

What are one or two of your mentor's specific behaviors that demonstrated his "true interest?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

There was an educator with MS who worked on our campus he was confined to a electric cart and really only had use of one hand...
I have lupus so I have many ups and downs where I must use a cane or walker.. To see him work was incredible the students admired and respected him I believe he has forgotten more than I will ever know about engine systems

He keeps me in line, gives Purpose and focus !!!

Thanks for this post, Chuck. What are one or two specific things your mentor said or did that made you want him as a mentor?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I call my favorite mentor "Yoda" because of his wisdom and calm, gracious demeanor. I have learned from him that while students expect to be held accountable for their performance, they do not expect to be judged personally. Coaching is more effective when it doesn't involve an emotional reaction.

Cheryl,

Thanks for this post. Yoda seems very wise.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have had role models who have influenced my career, but I would say that the biggest impact on how I conduct myself in my career would come from my childhood. I was the child of career military father and lived in many places growing up and was the "new kid on the block" more times than I can count on my fingers. Everyone adapts to new situations differently. I was by nature an observer. Seeing the world and being exposed to all of the different cultures that came with that impacted how I respond to people and reach out to them. I am sensitive to the different backgrounds people can come from and how it influences them. With my students or me peers, I make extra efforts to understand my audience so that I can adjust my message and delivery to meet them.

Catherine,

Thanks for this post. What are some ways you try to gather the information about your students that it takes to "understand" them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I work for a vocational school. The students are very passionate about the industry they are working towards becoming a part of. The easiest way to open up the dialogue is to ask them questions about how they got exposure to the industry, what their dreams for working in the industry are and how they think their education will help them fulfill those dreams.

Catherine,

This is good advise. How does your school record this type of information on students so that other faculty members can learn what makes their students tick?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Going through grade school, you always remember that one teacher you had that always made learning fun. You enjoyed going to that class everyday.

My mentor was one of the most down to earth people I have ever met. She made me believe in myself and increase my confidence.

Thank you for sharing this, Courtney. What were one or two specific things your mentor did to increase your confidence.

Jeffrey Schillinger

My mentor was my Dental Assisting instructor years ago. I was placed in the program by my counselor at high school. She always encouraged everyone of us. I just remember thinking, when I grow up, I want to be just like her. She was strict when she had to be, yet fun when she could be. Always dressed professionally, she walked the talk. I was a dental assistant for 27 years and now teach because of her.. I owe her a lot of THANK YOU's!!!

I have had several people over the course of my life whom I consider mentors. As early as elementary school I have had experiences with caring teachers that have been available to listen to an problems I might have had. These conversations were life changing for me and I know that without their guidance and support I would not be the person I am today. We never know when a kind word or look or smile might be making the world of difference in a students world.

I had a wonderul mentor when I first became and educator. She took the time to "show me the ropes" and taught me the soft skills that are needed in the classroom, along with expectations as I began to teach. When I encounter obstacles today, I continue to rely on information she shared years ago.
Most importantly, she also made a practice of modeling the behaviors she promoted.

Paula,

What are those behaviors she modeled?

Jeffrey Schillinger

My career has primarily been in engineering. My first Mentor was Ron L. He was my department head and is now President of the firm. He tought me hard work and dedication, and how to deal with clients. My second Mentor cme some 25 years later. Bob M. tought me to always put your customers first, snd to be a better listener.

I had an instructor in college who greatly impacted me. I admired him for his knowledge, the way he carried himself and his communication skills. I thought back on that experience some 30 years later and decided that I would like to influence younger people the same way. On the other hand I had authority figures in my life that influenced me to pick another career than what I was interested in. I took their advise for the first 10 years of my adult life until I met the above instructor who changed my life. I want to impact others the same way.

Richard,

What are the keys to being a better listener for someone who is an educator?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment