Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attention Equals Retention

What does your school do to unequivocally demonstrate you are paying attention to your students?

We contact our students when they are absent from class on a daily basis to express our concern about their absence.

Dr. Cheryl,

This is a common approach. The effectiveness of this approach varies based on the attitudes of the folks making the calls. Some faculty make the calls just to say they made them. Others make the calls with a genuine desire to help.

Jeffrey Schillinger

We make several phone calls depending upon how long they have been out. The TA calls to try to get them into class. Then the instructor does a follow-up call after. If they have been out for a few days the Registrar, Education Manager and Director make phone calls as well as anyone that thinks they might have a relationship with that student. We have tried at one point class parents where you are assigned to a certain class and you go in at least every week to do something with them.

Stephanie,

The attention you pay to the students is admirable. Coordinating the attention so that it is not considered "badgering" is a trick for some campuses. How does your campus maintain this balance?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I also called my students right away when they are out. The first break i send my students on, i use the time to call out students. It gives them time to still attend class, alot of the time they have overslept and are happy thea you called.

Sandra,

The calls to students are as effective as the attitude present in the caller. If it is a "check in the box" just so the caller can say "I called," it will not be as effective as the way you seem to be calling, with the good intentions of supporting the students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I email with starting out by saying We missed you in class today, I hope everything is okay.
I use the same phrase when I call. Great customer service skills goes a long way with the students

Celine,

Thhis is good advise. The attitude of the contact needs to be "we miss you" and "we want to help you."

Jeffrey Schillinger

Every staff member goes beyond an always ask how are they doing? They show they care and at the same time they follow up, monitor and hold each student accountable for their progress and behavior in school. I have seen how important it is to build a relationship with the students and how important is for them to feel appreciated and that we care.

Maryolaine,

We see the word "accountable" in many posts. What are one or two specific strategies you employ to inspire "accountability" in your students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

We have several departments aid in contacting students. It starts with our instructors because they have the closest relationship with the students. We call students that are absent on a daily basis not only to explain the effect it has on them, but most of all to see if there is something that we can assist them with.

I would like to say that are campus implements a lot of what was discussed in this training session. Starting with the Director of First Impressions and their customer service skill to having monthly meeting with all our staff to let them know the state of our campus. A large part of this meeting is spent brainstorming with everyone our strategies for student retention. We also have a high risk focus group; this group targets high risk students and any issues they may have that will keep them from completing their career goals. This group meets every 15 days. We also have our daily protocol of student contact, we stress that not one day go by without us contacting every student.

We also have a hands on approach to helping the students get certified or licensed in their career, this way even never the end of their education they still see that we care and we expect them to be successful.

Mario,

This proactive approach is what works well in career colleges. How does your campus define "high risk?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

Lazara,

How do you coordinate the contact with students? From time to time, we hear that students get frustrated when too many folks from the campus call them about the same things, often on the same day.

Jeffrey Schillinger

We are using the word overmanagement, when a student is absent. Instructor will contact, rep will contact, department chair will contact. If student is absent second day, it will go up to dean. Each individual will explain the importance of attendance

Jose,

Do your students react poorly when they get multiple calls about the same absence?

Jeffrey Schillinger

we are meeting ones a week to discuss our students progress.

Bruno,

What are the things upon which your team focuses during these meetings?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Paying attention and listening to students is critical in retention

Sign In to comment