Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Quizzes

One of the things I like to do to encourage students come to class and come prepared is to start the class with a short quiz about the day's assignment/reading. It is not a difficult quiz and is often worth no more than 5 points - but I find that it helps to springboard classroom discussion and it does help keep students "locked" in.

That is a good idea, however if your students are absent do you allow them to make up the quiz? Do you use it as bonus? Do the students who were not there get a zero? Just curious. I also give quizzes like that just little ones usually 10 points I drop the lowest quiz and do not allow makeup of quizzes for a missed class. I do give zeros for the missed quizzes

Paul ,

Excellent strategy. You are correct in that most students now assume that we will 'feed' them the information in class and prior outside preparation isn't always a priority for them.

Susan Backofen

Yes I find that having a short quiz, a quick review, morning energizer or quick game helps me to also know what I need to reinerate or clear up before moving on.

Yes, that's a great idea, and I set aside 5 min before the start of class for a oral quiz that I administer on the previous days work.

Sign In to comment