Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Name tags?

Two years ago each student wore a name tag, it was considered part of the school uniform. Last year the school did away with the name tags. What about other schools?

We encourage all instructors and staff to use students names to personalize their conversations in the classroom or hall. With no name tags it is extremely difficult for instructors and staff to learn students names. Instructors seem to learn the names of the students they like, who speak up, or volunteer or they learn the name of those students who are difficult or different in some way.

Suggestions? Thank you!

Learning student names is far harder if you do it surreptitiously. During day 1, I tell them I may ask their name regularly for the first 3 days, but after that I should know it (this gives me an assignment, and they appreciate that). So whenever I call roll, I look at the student, when they speak up I ask their name, whenever I call on them, I use their name, and during production (culinary school), I wander around with the roll and join names and faces. Three days in, I am all good.

At LCB-LA, we currently use swipe badges on lanyards that double as a photo ID/name tag. It's helpful and it's also something that they have to carry around to have any access to the campus.

I think it is so important for us to call a student by name it makes them feel important they want to know that you care about them.

What I have done in the past is to set up a seating chart as I call roll on the first day. As I call their name I place the name (phonetically), in the place on the chart where they are sitting. I also ask them to help me pronounce their name correctly so I give them a feeling of caring about them as an individual. And I try not to mispronounce their name throughout the course.
I find sometimes the adult learners feel funny wearing a name tag if they not had to do so for a long time so I don’t force the issue.

Michael--

It sounds like you make great effort to make them feel welcome and comfortable. Just out of curiousity-how do you find the adults react to the 'assigned' seating?

Susan

At our school we have students wear there badge for i.d. but also to train them to make sure that they have it every day because when thy go to there job they may need it to get on the time clock or computer

I find that student ID badges are a more effective alternative to name tags. Name tags tend to make students feel like they are in grade school rather than in college where they are taught to be professional. Name tags seem to get into that "corny" category that we try to avoid.

Sign In to comment