Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Roger--

Awesome! Students are very interested in getting to know instructors. I think so times we discount the effect their involvement can have. Great job!

Susan

I teach a very hard subject, Electrical. Many students struggle just to keep there heads above the water. Many times I have gone into their ending class and give a brief orientation and try to relieve some of the anxiety. It does help some to see their new instructor and know that you will be there for them.

I agree. It's tough to get adjuncts to show up to meetings that they're not paid to go to. However, I do see a huge benefit to the students when my adjuncts do show up to events like orientations. It really helps the new student when they see familiar faces on their first day of class.

Mike--

Adjuncts are a very important part of what we do and keeping them involved is important for us, them and the students.

Susan

We require the involvement of the instructors of term one courses in our New Student Orientation (NSO). The instructors enjoy participating, and it is amazing the strength of the bond formed at the NSO between student and instructor. We provide instructors the opportunity to share their bio and class standards, to lead student tours; and to answer questions about the program and the school.

We can set the enviroment and conditions of the class room before the student arives. By doing this, some of the fears a student may have will be alliviated. Making a student feel welcome and comfortable will help them show up for the first day when the anxiety is the highest. It is up to US.

Russell--

I agree, setting the right expectations prior to the start of classes is very important. Do you do particular things to ensure this?

Susan

At our campus Program Chairs are active participants as well. I think it is a really good practice that some of the campuses include adjunct instructors. I think it would help our students feel a little more comfortable the first day if we at least have 1st quarter instructors present for a meet and greet.

Sign In to comment