Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having mentor students speak?

How do people incorporate other students into their orientations?

Rachel,

Some have them speak (perhaps a panel) at the orientations to have an opportunity for incoming students to ask questions. This works best if not all the staff and faculty are in the room. Others use them to give tours, so questions can be asked more informally.

Susan Backofen

We like to use a 'buddy' system. Each new student is assigned a student who is ready to graduate to mentor them through their first semester. They are there to help the student assimilate into the program and can introduce them to staff members as well as other students.

During our orientations we have student ready for externship and graduates to express their success in the industry and show the steps they took to become successful

Michelle,

What a great program! Do you use any specific criteria for choosing the mentors?

Susan Backofen

I have also requested the assistance of mentor students during the first week of class. The mentor spoke about his challenges during first term and specific ways that he overcame them. He was able to share a lot of study ideas and specific phone aps that are available that were beneficial to him. I think it helped the new students to realize that many of the feeling they were experiencing were normal.

We have recently hired a couple of students and we do have work study program. That works well

I also invite graduates that have been through the program and that already have field experience to return and speak to my class during the first week when available. Hearing testimonies from other students always inspires students to do better. Also, halfway through the students program graduates are invited back to speak. This helps reinstate the student's origional goals and reexcites them about their future and education.

Don,

I love having alumni or 'senior' students participate with new students. This is a very credible activity since they can relate to one another much better.

Susan Backofen

I would love to have some our senior students from my program be at each orientation. Our program is new and not a lot of people are aware of what our program teaches students.

At our campus, we have a student council and one of the things they do is help with orientation for new students. I think it's important to have these "student ambassadors".

Sign In to comment