Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Addressing accreditation at orientation?

I have a topic I would like to propose.

The college with whom I am affiliated recently decided to stop the accreditation process with the ADA due to a variety of very complicated reasons. However, in my state, it is not necessary to be affiliated with them at all, and would only mean a slight change in way the students would have to test for the state exam. It was more for "show" to be accredited.

How do I address this with the students in orientation so that they know they will still receive a stellar education regardless of this factor?

Juliana,

That is an excellent question. In our society with all the recent negative publicity around higher education, most people feel like they need to ask if the school is accredited; but they don't really understand what that means. I'm not sure about your industry, but it sounds like it is not a hinderance for students to complete your program and go on with their careers. I have found the best path is always to explain what accreditation is and is not and how it affects their education and career potential.

Susan Backofen

I think that's interesting. I'm an instructor for health care in an accredited school with no bias either way that I'm aware of. I'm only guessing that Juliana is in dental care/ADA. To the best of my knowledge students can get a job in the field after they graduate but if they want state/national certification in healthcare(medical assisting) they have to come from an accredited school that has taught the curriculum required. I think Juliana and her school needs to address and explain accreditation during orientation or before in admissions department if they are offering careers where there is a career ladder concept. Does an accredited school help them step up the ladder if they choose? And it may have an impact in some fields as to whether their academic credits transfer if they want to go on to school.

So many of my students have higher goals in the healthcare field. I think it would be necessary to tell them where Juliana's school stands in being able to prepare them for not only a job but also if it may affect future choices to continue to a higher/better paid level in that field. Does accreditation or lack of it affect the students' possibilities for the future? I'm thinking that needs to be addressed as an ethical issue before the student gets involved/pay fees.

Dee,

I agree. Accreditation or the lack thereof needs to be discussed up front and how this affects them professionally.

Susan Backofen

Wow! I hate to hear about stopping the accreditation but I am sure the reasons are valid. In my field (CJ) the accreditation is also not a requirement but the outcomes and legal issues that can be addressed without litigation are well worth it.

I am from Texas and previously accreditation was not required however in the last 2 years it has been made mandatory..I go in depth with the process and what it means so they can be knowledgeable in their discussion with other people. I imagine it would be more difficult to ensure them that they would be receiving a quality education with out it. Good luck

This topic is a fragile, but you’re ending statement best suits what to say... Assure your students education will be STELLAR REGARDLASS!!!!

Sign In to comment