Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Problems i see

The main Problems i see with orentation is that we have rules that the students have to live by while enrolled and we should start it off from the first day (orentation) so that when its there first day of class they allready now that there not allowed to wear certain things, or have certain things on them etc.. If we start it at the begining then there is no reason why a student can say they never knew it was a rule.

Continuity is an important factor for structure within an academic community. However, I see the same issue that Jason is discussing. Rules are set by the institution and the instructors attempt to enforce policies, but when a student does not follow the "rule" (i.e. wearing the proper uniform), the teacher is underminded by allowing the student to break the rule. Personally, as long as the student is dressed appropriately, I believe the learner should be allowed in class. But, if the school's policy states that the student must wear a particular career-orientated uniform- the instructors deserve support when the student disregards the rule.

Patricia--

This is a difficult scenario. As you point out, if it is the 'rule' for the institution then it should be applied consistently and supported.

Susan

I agree with having the students arrive in uniform the first day of orientation since I believe it psychologically prepares them for the expectations of the school.

I agree that there must be support when dealing with simple issues and students not following the rules set forth that they agreed to upon enrolling.

These all seem like very good points however to ensure a student is ready for orientation ie proper uniforms ect they have to have the uniforms prior (requiring much planning)and explained even in the siplest terms how to wear it. Rules, procdures and standards must be presented in a timely manner with a message that is clear and consistant; with the support of all facluty and staff

One of the major problems I see with orientation is that the admissions dept. may have given the student one idea of what the school standards are like when in actuallity it may be very different.

This is a good point. What do you suggest for classroom orientations in a program in which there are a handful of late arrivals each semester? I often find it difficult or time-consuming to explain everything explained in the first day, and of course I can never be as thorough.

Students get so much information; I can understand how something would have been missed. I think it is important in my class to restate the important points. Repetition is helpful to retention – and by that I mean helping students to retain information and retaining students.

Craig--

Great question! Some institutions have a scheduled 'late' orientation sometime during the first week to catch all the late enrollments at once. This is a little more efficient than doing them one-on-one.

Others have utilized student ambassadors who can do a good job as well.

Susan

I agree with Elizabeth. During orientation, students are overwhelmed with information, and the majority of the stuff they hear is not retained. It is very important for teachers to restate the important points because repetition is a great strategy for committing information to long-term memory. I also agree that repetition can help boost retention because students will not have to deal with the plaguing uncertainties of, "Well, I thought that..." or "Someone told me that..."

Yes, I see this problem as well. I think it helps if a student is allowed to have an interview with a program director during the admissions process, so that the program director can assess any problem areas. "Did you know that that tattoo on your forearm will have to be covered every day while you are on campus or at clinicals?" "Do you have any transportation concerns?" If a student has the idea that everything is taken care of once they enroll, they can start to think that they carry no responsibility in the process. We tell our students at the outset how many hours a day they will need to study.

I think its possible to balance a positive, motivational orientation with a program that also informs the students of any necessary policies and/or rules of which they should be made aware. I agree that shying away from speaking about rules and regulations at orientation might ultimately do them a disservice.

Lynn ,

Excellent points and realistically, things that are better addressed from the faculty perspective since you deal with them daily. This is part of the 'realistic expectations' that should be set during the admission process.

Susan Backofen

I think the bigger problem may be that we all have rules, but very few of them are really ever enforced. Being empathetic for one student may lead to other students feeling that they are not being given equal treatment. This can lead to undermining the entire feeling of trust that we are trying to install among the student population.

Robert,

Agreed. There is a fine line between equity and equality. But rules, for the most part, should be rules that are enforced--assuming they are rules with strong rationale behind them. There is no sense having rules that don't really matter.

Susan Backofen

One of the problems i see is that we give the students so much information during orientation, policies and procedure, introduction to all deprtment and what they do, what to expect the first day and so on that the students tend to forget about the policies and say they didn't know or were not told when it was discussed in orientation.

Tasha,

I completely agree. Some people in these forums have outlined a follow-up orientation their schools provide week 2 or 3. This allows them to see how things are going and also review important material.

Susan Backofen

One of the things we do is give the students a copy of the power point presentation and an orientation bulletin. We state the most important things they need to hear about attendance being crucial, how to make up missed classes, dress code, and tell them they do not need to remember it all but to reference their paperwork or student handbook or call us with any questions or concerns. I agree they need to hear the most important points up front.

I agree, starting them off on the right path and holding them to it, will help make for a better overall school experience for everyone.

Sign In to comment