Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New students orientation

I think the Counselors play an impotant role in the retention process. At my school counselors do a great job at the orientation, they also invite faculty and active students to share experiences and answered questions.

Retention certainly starts at the counselor level but also needs to continue on through out the students time in school. The students feed off of the energy level they are surrounded by and if they see others that are disatified with their experince (staff or student),I believe that only solidifies the students belief that they have not made the right decision in attending.

I do agree that orientation should be set up to reduce fear if failure or regret. Admission are usually there but play a small role in the process. The way I see it, is the planning process, where activities and presentations should start on time.

A cook out of hamburgers and hot dogs after the orientation would allow studentsa to meet each other and socialize.

Certainly there is room for improvement in making student feel they belong.

Tiffany

Retention is also based on the student. Students come because they want to. outside factors play a bigger role than most people think. Students may want to come, but if there are distractions, new students are unable to attend even if they want to.

Wook--

You are absolutely correct. Outside factors can be a very large deterent to retention and are also the most difficult for us to assist in resolving. This is one reason why I believe it is so important for the admissions personnel to help the students identify and resolve some of those in the admissions process.

Susan

Orientation, all staff for that coarse is present and are introduced to students what is expected of students while in their classes

Dr. Jordan,

Students should be allowed time to interact with one another as well as with faculty, staff, and other students (current and former) during orientation. Often, orientation sessions are too long and detailed and the student does not have the capacity to absorb so much information. Therefore, I like the idea of minimal presentation information and maximum take-away information. The best way to learn is from interaction for many students, especially adult learners.

I agree with the interaction piece. So many new students really don't know what to expect when they sign up for classes. There is that feeling of being alone with no one to help.
The interaction with current and former students,
faculty and staff can give them a piece of mind that someone cares and that they can become part of this institution and receive assistance and guidance if needed.

Sign In to comment