Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Approach in Orientation

What departments other than Admissions have the most interaction with students and how do you currently involve them in your orientation?

After completing module 2 I feel confident about my orientations. Noted that their is always room for improvement, as "orientator" it is nice to see a lot of aspects in our orientations are similiar to what we have learned in this module.
We try to keep orientations involved and interactive, making campus home to them as soon as they walk through the door. The Admission Rep. meets and greets, the familiar face that hands off to my department. I then introduce myself as the student service administrator assuring them I am "their voice". Then I introduce my self again as the career service administrator. Here we discuss the successes of past students, reassuring them they can do this and this is the proof.......Following, I then introduce two current students; the president and vice president of student senate. They talk about how much the staff and faculty are here to help and that as their student reps they are another outlet to get help, etc.
Next is a quick tour, introducing the instructors as we do a walk through and back to take pics for ID's. Now the FA rep. comes in to ask if anyone needs help. Typically, all students have met with this department prior to orientations.
Then I conclude by going around the room asking everyone to introduce themselves and why they are here today. I found this effective because they all generally have the same reasons for being here. It seems to get them assimilated with each other- that they are all there for the same reason.
Lastly, I talk about the credibility of the instructors themselves and they then take over. the student has begun.

A lot of what we discussed in Mod 2 has been implemented in our orientations. Although there certainly is room for improvement, our campus has been hitting on building credibility, increasing value, building connections, and making them belong. Perhaps, it is why, I'm proud to say, our drop rate is 12% (which I'm told is pretty good for a career/technical school). Again, I still consider that we have lost 12% so we can do better.

Our Career Services department plays a huge role in our orientation of new students. They also set a first out-of-class one-on-one appointment time with each student before they leave orientation to begin the process of assisting our students with their task of finding an externship placement that will also hopefully lead to long-term employment. Career Services also discusses opportunities to volunteer for work in our field of training to give the student and the employer a chance to "try out" each other before making an employment commitment.

Cory,

This sounds like you have a wonderful program and are doing a great job keeping students engaged. Congrats!

Susan Backofen

David,

Wow! This is excellent!!!! I haven't ever heard of an institution that has career services so actively involved at orientation.

Susan Backofen

Someone in every department plays some role in the orientation processes. But I think the chefs play the biggest role because that is what all the students want to be when they are done with school.

Career services. They prepare them for the market after completing there education experience. They also work with them on interviewing techniques and basic interpersonal skills

Since we are an online institution, we offer orientation sessions to our students to walk them through our on line platform, we also provide them a directory of the areas that can provide services to them at some point of their career.
I give them a welcome call and introduce myself as director of the student service department. I also connect them to one of our tutors who are also one of our students.
The career counseling is also offered in case they would like to know more about the job placement opportunities.
A serial of email are sent to them inviting them to request the student ID, like us on facebook, here the can know more about other students and join the community.

There are lots of wonderful tips in this module - Thanks

Orientation is lead by Student Services, Financial Aid pays us a visit for an overview and general questions - saving the personal ones for 1-on-1, of course. Career Services also stops in to discuss their services and when and how to access. We start the day with a visit to the Receptionist for their badge, Registrar, Financial Aid and Student Accounts to assure all their paperwork is undercontrol before they start (our agenda) and to have students put faces to the names (student agenda. During the orientation we provide more detail about the services each department provides. They move from our session to a program specific orientation with the instuctor before starting class.

Our Career Services Office plays an integral role in Orientation since our programs are very streamlined toward major career paths such as Recording Arts, Graphics, Web Design and Merchandising. An important contributor is our on Campus Learning Center, an area that students can come to have tutoring from seniors for specific courses as well as papers read for upcoming due dates. Finally, our school provides a number of seminars delivered by industry participants and having one or two of them on hand during orientation gives students the feeling that they have enrolled in a school fully stocked with actual practitioners of the career they aspire to.

Kevin,

I really like that you have people from industry involved with your students, and especially involved in orientation. I am sure this confirms for the new students they have made a great choice.

Susan Backofen

At our school, everyone is a part of orientation. Admissions is excellent to greet them because the students are most familiar with them. There is always someone in the room to mingle and get everyone settled until orientation begins.

During orientation, we usually have a student or recent graduate come in and speak about their experience and success with the program (LOVE this idea!). Each department is also repesented and has a slot of time to introduce themselves and speak a little about their department. It's so great to have instructors on hand as well. They seem to come right in and boost the energy level and excite the students about what they will be learning.

It really is a team effort at our campus. We like to show the tight knit community we have here and that students have a huge support system with students, faculty and administration.

Other than the Office of Admissions, Student Board Members, Career Services, Faculty/Registrar, Student Finance, and Purchasing play a role at orientation. Admissions, faculty, and the Registrar handle the check-in/greeting of all new students. The Student Board members take groups of students through various campus rotations/presentations, as well as, a campus tour. Career Services host a resource table with actively seeking internship sites/job leads, resume/cover letter templates, and placement information of recent graduates. Finally, student finance help troubleshoot any account issues and applications for federal aid.

Our evening school orientation is held after most of the staff have left for the day. We incorporate the instructors/Department heads who are available on campus to be part of the orientation. They take the students from their programs, and give them a personal look at what they can expect to learn, classes that are new, and answer any questions the student may have about their programs. It's always nice when a student meets an instructor they will have the following week. It makes it so much easier for them to walk into that classroom.

In orientation they meet for 20 minute intervals with the following: Business Office, Student Services, the Learning Resource Center ( library/Tutoring) Career Services, Academic Advising, Bookstore, and with their Program Specific Faculty Chairs for 1 hour. There is also a scholarship session and financial progress for a 1 hour session as well.

Tracy,

This sounds absolutely wonderful! Such energy and cohesiveness among the faculty and staff makes a huge difference.

Susan Backofen

James,

Involving career services in such a practical way at orientation is a great idea!

Susan Backofen

Lynda ,

You are absolutely correct...having that interaction with the faculty member and seeing their new 'surroundings' is a real benefit.

Susan Backofen

All departments have interaction with the students during orientation but I have Career Services and the Instructors do most of the talking then I bring in Student Services. The students enrolled because they want to start making money quickly to support their family therefore when I introduce Career Services I tell the students to make sure they visit career services at least once a week if not daily. I want Career Services to know the student for who they are and not what they know academically so when an employer calls for placements the department is able to send the right fit student and tell the employer why this student is a good fit for them. It has been working and the employers love it and the students are getting hired immediately.

Education, financial aid and business manager office are part of our orientation even...we also have a graduate address the students and talk about his or her educational experience. Students are given a tour and a hands on presentation during the tour.

Sign In to comment