Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Who is responsible

I wonder who is responsible of the retention ?
I think everybody as a team player is responsible and have to be accountable for this processs. sometimes when the student come to cancel registration, persuasion is not enough.

Aside from factors like relocation, sickness, etc., I think the responsibility of retention is or should be a team effort. Lack of communication between departments usually plays a roll in losing students. I don't think the whole responsibility relies solely on the instructor.

Luz--

I completely agree, which is one of the reasons we promote strong communications across the institution. Most likely, someone, somewhere in the school, knows the students is struggling with a particular issue. Working together to help that student is paramount.

Susan

Not only is retention a team effort, "team" members should take an ongoing interest in the students progress. All too often, once a particular department has processed the student, oftentimes they consider their contribution as completed. Students don't always know who to deal with "next" in the course of their education and attempt to fall back on their admissions rep, financial aid rep, etc. for guidance or direction only to find them unavailable. When studenst can't get answers to their questions through student support services, they quickly become dissapointed with the school as a whole.

Our retention has improved since faculty became involved. They use "call logs". Teachers call and give assignments to students who miss class.
Admissions check the logs each morning and call students not reached by the teacher.

Donald--

Excellent point. We need to continually be there for the student just like they are new... they 'buy' their education from us every term and if we don't treat them right, they go elsewhere.

Susan

I think everyone involved with the student is partly responsible. We are all a team and as a team need to commnicate with each other as well as the student

we are all responsable for retentioin. that is why we should work as a team.

I agree that we are all involed in retention but it seems that most of it falls on instructors the admin.

I think the entire school is responsible from admissions -> education -> FAID -> business office -> student services -> career services. All of us.

Whose is responsible? That is great question need to address by all concern!

"working as a team"
sounds more and more illusionary.
at the end of it all, the folks who care about the students AND the success of the school will take care of business, while others try to delegate and only get involved when it is too late.
when you love what you do in EDUCATION, one of your main goals is retention, for whatever reason.

Hans--

I agree, it is important to love what you do. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone in education were dedicated to student success!

Susan

Sign In to comment