Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not fitting in

I have had this experience myself while going to school,and i have seen it in my own classrooms.

I think this is very prevelent with first time college students and with those who have been out of school for a while.

It's a "new" experience for them an the anxiety exaggerates other concerns that they may have

The same anxieties that a student has in a new school/career training are simular to those of someone who is just starting a new job.

John--

Great point. Seems obvious but I never really considered it quite like that. Would be an excellent point to make and, in fact, their education 'is' their job for a time.

Susan

I agree many adult students who have been out of schools for some time find if somewhat challenging, because they are among younger peers. However, in a learning environment of experienced peers students who are starting college soon after high school also experience anxiety due to lack of common interest and working experience.

Nicol--

Great point. Young students, too, feel challenged and hesitant. Any new learning environment evokes feels of doubt. Do you use any specific activities that can help create those common interests you addresss?

Susan

I agree the older student generally has apprehension about returning to school because they feel as if they are out of touch. This feeling is usually due to the student's inability to relate to the skill level to their younger peers.

Edward--

We 'older' students also have trouble at times relating to the younger students...and them to us. It is, however, a great learning experience just on this level and certainly applies to the work place.

Susan

Me, too. I well remember how nervous I was as an undergraduate--as well as a graduate--student, wanting to fit in both academically and socially. It's very frightening to enter into any new situation but especially one that is evaluated like the educational setting. I find it helpful to remember my early feelings when trying to empathize with and assist my new students. I always assure them that *everyone* in the class is a bit nervous and that no questions are dumb questions.

I see this all the time and know exactly how this feels so when i see it in my classroom I make it a point to get them into group activities asap and help to break the ice and bring down the barriers so that my class can start acting like a team.

This is extremely important at our institution. We live in an economically depressed area with high unemployment. The majority of our students are non-traditional with ages ranging from 18 to 65. We reassure them that there are many students here similar in age and situation. Having some of our accomplished students greet them helps. When we can, they accompany us on a tour of the facilities.

Excellent! And, working in groups (as much as students sometimes do not like this), is very real-world. Do you have particular group activities that work well?

Susan

Michael--

Really excellent that you utilize your students in this way. Having someone other than those employed by the institution assist in acclimating the new students is very helpful and adds credibility.

Susan

True and so have I. But I found in my classroom if can lighten up the first day and interact, my students ease up and are looking forward to my next feascal.

Kelvin--

Creating a relaxed learning environment that is engaging goes a long way. Excellent!

Susan

Sign In to comment