Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

connecting with the students

First impresions are very important. The first night of class i try to remember the students names. i have had students tell me that they were very impressed that i took the time to learn their names, they have had instructors in the past that never did know their name.

Engaging your students and making them feel that their instructor really cares about their education makes for a enjoyable learning atmosphere.

I do my best to show my students that I am here to help them, not to "bust their chops". I explain to them that it is a learning environment, and that it is ok to make mistakes, that it is part of the process. I do my best to reinforce that idea all thru the course, especially in lab. The studernts seem to do much better, and make fewer mistakes, simply by taking away the feeling that they must be perfect the first time, everytime. I also share some "not so perfect" experiences I had when I was a student or in the field, to give them a chance to relate to me as something other than a super-human taskmaster.

We have all made mistakes and it is a part of learning. Sharing our own stories of mistakes is a good way to connect with them and let them know that it is part of the process. This can remove a lot of uneccessary stress from the classroom.

I try to engage all students from the first day By doing this I let them know that not only I care about thier success everyone in the istitution cares about their success and that there are numerous rescources for them to reach out to, just ask!

I agree. If a student can sense that you are truly invested in them they will show a greater commitment.

It usually takes me a week to learn names, but every class comments positively that I succeeded in learning their names.

i agree that first impressions are important, showing students that we care as a whole has a big impact the futher the student progresses.

on my first day of the new module, I go down my roster and call off everyones names even if they are returning to class, I believe this helps with the new students to my class as they now can here and see and put a face with the name of there fellow students. to aleviate their fears, I tell them that there is nothing that they are not capable of doing, that this is not rocket science, that mistakes will be made and that we will learn form our mistakes and move on.

While this maybe a "performance evaluation" this is still a learning enviroment and if they, the student wil give me 100% i will gve them 110%.

i have found that even the "tough" or unruly student will come around if they know that you are on their side for success.

I think it is really sad that an instructor wouldn't learn their students' names. I get about 120 new students a term, and I push myself to learn all of their names as quickly as possible. We even kind of make it into a game to get the students involved. It keeps the atmosphere relaxed and the environment fun.

I also try to engage the students because when you connect a face with a name the student's feel important. As a Dental Program Director at my school, I make a point of visiting each and every class day and night to show the students that I care about them and to let them know that they are not just a number. During the first few weeks when I see them in the halls I try to guess their names and this becomes an ongoing joke! I always try to at least ask them how everything is going and once they are in uniform I go out of my way to make sure they know that my office door is always open to them. The students really seem to like this~!

By learning their names we immediately move into the personal aspect of the relationship. It shows interest, which in-turn helps with classroom management.

I agree. I try real hard to remember names. We also go around and introduce ourselves, where we come from and where we see our future. They tell personal information and it shows a real caring atmosphere to take time to get to know each other

We are all human, and it is how we recover from out mistakes that can leave a lasting impression. This is especially true if an instructor make a mistake in front of our students. The instructor can take the honest approach or make excuses. If the instructor choses make excuses or not to acknowledge the error, the student will most likely lose respect for the instructor immediately.

I totally agree with that for sure. Unfortunately for our students a lot of the instructors are brand new to them. I was brand new coming in as the Director of Healthcare and I had to get familiar with all of the students that we would encounter in our department. Aside from those I teach on a daily basis, I make every effort to get to know everyone in the school regardless of what program they are in. I want them to know who I am and that I am someone they can turn to if they need help or have concerns. I am sure to say hello and ask every student how they are doing and tell them to have a great day, even if they know nothing about me or anything about our career field. I want them to feel like they are part of a huge family and that we have an inviting atmosphere, it definitely lowers their fears and makes them more comfortable being here.

I agree - the most important words a person can hear is their name. It recognizes them as being important. Every student should always be addressed by their name. When completing the 'Study Guide' for anatomy I try to call each student by their name - every time. I typically miss it in the beginning but we all laugh at my struggles - within days I know them and they feel more comfortable with me.

That is a great instructor - one who shows their willingness to help & ensure their learning. A "we can do it" attitude instead of one that initiates a mind-set of "omg! I have all this to learn or else..." The latter tends to make them feel overwhelmed & give up.

We can also let students do a part of class or help teach. Many have had a skill that the teacher may not had. This also allows them to see things from your side of the commuinction process!

I always try to put the names with the faces first thing while starting a new rotation and then explain to students why.

I would agree.. When you make it a point to get to know your student it impresses them because it allows one to make a connection, it is a open show of letting them know how valuable they are, and that we as instructors do care about them and their academic success.

Sign In to comment